Industrial Flat Sixes

Justin Slingsby

Hi, folks, I have a 54 plymouth wagon with a 265 Industrial engine. Its Canadian and is a 25 inch engine. I love it. Best thing i did is put an overdrive behind it. This car came from our western provinces and I suspect it was from a combine or water pump or something. Anyhow it fit into the car with no problem as I believe Canadian cars came with the 25 inch motors.

The plate on my engine is shown on the 2nd pic, just near the fuel pump, underneath the manifolds........btw Ply51....that 265 engine should wake up the Plymouth, almost a factory hotrod........or Nascar option.......lol............andyd

Yup ,it goes pretty good. the ID for the engine is on the left side and it is stamped IND 265. Hard to find daul carb intake and headers up here though. There are some for the 23 inch motors but very few. Good luck with the swap.

How bout put this crank and rods into my 218?

That would make the 218 into a 230. I've done just that on at least one engine, and you end up with at least 10 more HP. You just need to change the carb for the bigger displacement and you're good to go.

That would make the 218 into a 230. I've done just that on at least one engine, and you end up with at least 10 more HP. You just need to change the carb for the bigger displacement and you're good to go.

You will also need a 230 flywheel to get everything in the right place.

Marty

• 3 months later...

Okay so to freshen this topic up. I just got my 230 back from the machine shop. When I tore the motor down I noticed that the timing set is Cam gear running on Crank gear. This leads me to believe that it is a reverse rotation motor. SO I am using a new oil pump and new water pump and the cam and distributor out of my 218.

As I am researching the cam grinds for this motor a important point was made today..

SInce my motor is reverse rotation the oiling holes in the crank are also reverse rotation. Do I need to redrill my Crank so that it picks up oil for regular rotation? If I do this do I need to rebalance my crank?

Is this worth my time? Or should I seek another 230 crank that is regular rotation?

How checking the crankshaft casting number to ID it.

Try to post some info for you to compare to.

Wonder if Chrysler ever made a reverse rotation motor as most were only needed for boat use with two (inboard only)? engines. Most manufacturer just used a reverse rotation gearbox behind one of these motors as it was considerably cheaper to produce as compared to building a low production reverse motor?

How checking the crankshaft casting number to ID it.

Try to post some info for you to compare to.

Wonder if Chrysler ever made a reverse rotation motor as most were only needed for boat use with two (inboard only)? engines. Most manufacturer just used a reverse rotation gearbox behind one of these motors as it was considerably cheaper to produce as compared to building a low production reverse motor?

post-3654-0-64949700-1446595481_thumb.jpg