Voltage Reducers For Heater/Blower Fans

55 Fargo

During the summer, I installed my original heater in my 38.

I used a ceramic type 12 to 6 volt reducer, I bought on ebay years

ago. It works very good. My 6 volt fan only has one speed,

is quiet.

I have one of these under my dash. I wondered what it was for. It has power to it, but nothing on the 10 or 20 amps. Guess I'll have to figure some wireing out before long.

Darren

This is a good post. Lots of info at the bottom I didn't know about possative vs negative such as radio with poss. ground.

Darren

It has been said and done by others, that a 6 volt + radio will work fine on voltage reduced to 6 volts from 12 volts, and remainiing with negative ground. I Have not personally tried, it may be that the mechanical radio vibrator does not care about polarity, but the solid state might have to be polarity sensitive. In that case, an electronic radio vibrator could be changed to a 6 volt negative ground type.

I see no reason why my 50 watt 1 OHM resistor will not do it's job to reduce voltage to 1- 6 volt heater motor. That is why I see no reason to invest in Koolcars heavy duty voltage droppers,. If I were running a radio, and wiper motor in 6 volt format, I would see the Koolcars reducers as something seriously to consider...

I have a Mopar Model 36 heater in my 47 Plymouth and I installed a NAPA 655-1022 twelve volt motor in it. A fact that surprised me was that the spacing between the threaded mounting studs was 2 5/16 inches apart, and that this dimension between mounting holes has been in common use for sixty five years. An internet search for NAPA heater blower motors resulted in many motors for a wide variety of American built cars that used this hole spacing. When I received this motor, and it was inexpensive, I had to slide off a (7mm ?) sleeve off the motor shaft. I guess the motor was made to fit a variety of metric based cars too. Anyway, I slid off the shaft spacer and bolted this motor into my heater, a true bolt in project.

An internet search for other model heater motors may be just as successful.

post-2627-13585367632494_thumb.jpg

nice little fan motor,my 6 volt motor, is working great with my homemade voltage dropper.

But I am going to call my local NAPA and get price, just in case. I dont plan to use it a lot, and will not be driving much in the super cold weather....

• 3 years later...

Bringing this one back to the top.....;)

In my re-wiring job on Ol' Fernando I am now working on the blower and wiper motors.  I bought a RU-100 / 12V to 6V reducer from Standard products, but it heats up WAY TO MUCH!  Guess I didn't do my research well enough before getting this unit.  Turns out this unit, as best as I can find, is rated at 1.5 ohms x 4 amps.  No where near what a blower motor, or wiper motor needs.

The 1 Ohm x 50 Watt x 10 amp resistor mentioned in this thread, and the aluminum mount Fred made for it, should solve my issues.

Thank you to everyone for this great knowledge!

If this were an everyday vehicle, I would definately witch to a 12 volt fan motor. But for occasional use, and most in the summer months, am going to try this, a voltage reducer designed for blower motors...

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Electric-12-Volt-to-6-Volt-Reducer-for-Motors,15824.html?

Fargo I used that resistor on my Model "A" for it's 6 volt heater motor, works great. If you can mount it in the heater air stream to help keep it cool. :D

Fargo I used that resistor on my Model "A" for it's 6 volt heater motor, works great. If you can mount it in the heater air stream to help keep it cool. :D

Yup, they work well, yes it can be mounted in the fan path, but they still get hot, just the nature of the beast.... PS in cold weather, it ain't gonna be a problem having this resistor heat up, adds to the warmth in the vehicle.....