Flathead to Slant 6 distributor conversion...

thrashingcows

This drawing is what is in my slant 6 distributor. There are not any balancing weights and the shaft is different than the shaft in the previous pictures. So I'm confused. I'm not certain this will swap with the longer shaft. Do I have the incorrect distributor?

Edit: This distributor needs a small computer which replaces the balancing weights. So I have to figure out what to do with the shaft. It also does not have the vacuum advance canister. That said, to swap the insides would take an experienced person about two hours. I thought it would be much more involved. 

Slant6distributordrawingfromGoogle_zps11

Edited by pflaming

• 3 years later...

This is a delightful thread!  Now I have a use for my slant six distributors!  Yay!

Thank you Plymouthy Adams for the tip!

P Flaming - you have a learn burn distributor. You may be able to adapt it somehow, but best bet is to get a whole different electronic dist. You need one that has one magnetic pickup inside and a vacuum advance . 

I plan on making this same swap, too, but need the distributor- which I will buy at the next swap meet I go to.

• 3 years later...
On 4/29/2013 at 9:43 PM, thrashingcows said:

Here is a couple photos of the electronic ignition system I wired up.  Used all the stock mopar stuff...ballast, coil and ECU, and wiring.  Since I don't have the car wired up yet I had to make a stand alone system to have the car run. 

SO I went to the wreckers and grabbed a bunch of misc wiring, alternantor, battery cable, starter relay and slolenoid..from a ford...paid $25 for everything I think.

Took me a couple hours to wire everything up.  I found all the wiring diagrams on-line.

And as you can see from the above video it works great.

thrashingcows,

Thank you! I've been looking through your photos. Very helpful! Thanks for taking the time to post them and thereby, help others!

You have reason to appreciate the thread on distributors......but the last time thrashingcows (that is a cool screen name...) was on this forum was April 11, 2016. His post is seven years old, would be interesting to know how the distributor conversion has stood the test of time.

Responding to an old thread is known in the internet universe as "necroposting".  However, archived threads certainly have value as a research resource.  ?

Edited by Sam Buchanan

I read that thread some time back and I got a /6 distributor.

Then I decided rather than play mix and match I'd make an extension for the distributor driveshaft using a coupler and a cut to length shaft from a spare V8 distributor. 

Got everything for when I yank the engine so I can do a test fit.  Not sure if it will clear everything though, if it doesn't then mix and match it is.  If I am going EFI I don't want points.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

You have reason to appreciate the thread on distributors......but the last time thrashingcows (that is a cool screen name...) was on this forum was April 11, 2016. His post is seven years old, would be interesting to know how the distributor conversion has stood the test of time.

Responding to an old thread is known in the internet universe as "necroposting".  However, archived threads certainly have value as a research resource.  ?

I saw his car on Ebay several years ago.

I did this conversion to a 1952 Dodge I used to own. Ran with the electronic dissy for about 2 years, then sold the car.

I have since bought a 1955 DeSoto, and after having to pull the dissy to check the points I will be doing the conversion sooner rather than later.

I have a slant electronic dissy and a spare flatty dissy. Also have a Bosch BIM024 controller, so will not need to spend a penny.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/16/2020 at 6:48 PM, Roger the Dodger said:

I did this conversion to a 1952 Dodge I used to own. Ran with the electronic dissy for about 2 years, then sold the car.

I have since bought a 1955 DeSoto, and after having to pull the dissy to check the points I will be doing the conversion sooner rather than later.

I have a slant electronic dissy and a spare flatty dissy. Also have a Bosch BIM024 controller, so will not need to spend a penny.

Well, I did it. It is in the car and running great.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/14dGt9m

• Like 1