Flathead to Slant 6 distributor conversion...

thrashingcows

Well I'm beginning to get my motor ready for the re/re in the old Desoto. I'm working on a new remote oil filter, converting to a 12V Chrysler Alternator system and converting the Flat 6 dizzy to a 80's electronic ignition slant 6 dizzy.

I have acquired all the parts to convert the dizzy, and tore everything down this evening. Now I have a couple questions for those who have done this conversion.

When you swap over the main shafts, do I swap over the more modern weights and springs, or keep the originals? Just wondering if the mechanical advance would be similar or not?

I will post up pics and info as I go along so other can benefit from my trials and errors.

I had a wee bit of a time getting the lower collar off the flatty distributor. The pin would not move...I tried heat, penetrating fluid etc. SO eventually I had to hack it off with my dremel and a hacksaw.

PICT5515.jpg

Here you can see how similar the two main shafts are.

PICT5516.jpg

PICT5517.jpg

The main difference...other then the distributor drive portion...was in the mounting for the mechanical advance weights. The flatty weights use a smaller mounting lug on the main shaft plate then the slant 6 one does. So you can't swap them. I weighed the weights and they were all 55g, so the only difference would be in the springs and when they would come in.

So I cleaned up the original flatty weights and springs, lubed them up and re-installed.

PICT5523.jpg

So now came the hard part. The shaft bore on the flatty distributor, the part that runs down in to the motor, was 1.060". The Slant 6 dizzy bore was 1.090. SO I had 30 thou I had to remove. Well I don't have a lathe, or access to one so I did it the old fashion way....sand paper, micrometer and a couple hours.

I did the hard cutting with some 60 grit band saw paper and then used small, varying size strips of 100 grit to slowly polish it down to the right size.

Few pics...

PICT5522.jpg

PICT5521.jpg

And all done...

PICT5520.jpg

• Like 1

Here you can see the two bushings that run between the wreights. The one on the right is the flatty, the left is the slanty. You will need to use the slanty one so when the top plate goes on all your clearances will be right.

PICT5519.jpg

There is a bushing/washer that runs on the bottom of the plate, between the plate and the distributor housing itself. The flatty shaft/plate junction has a slight lip so it runs the bushing on the right. I tried using it but the collar would not allow the shaft to drop down far enough to get the collar on the lower section of the distributor. SO I re-installed the original slanty one, on the flathead shaft. Not a perfect fit but should be OK I hope....

PICT5518.jpg

Now in slides the shaft...lubed it up good.

PICT5524.jpg

Since I destroyed the original collar from the flatty I had to use the slant 6 lower collar. It wasn't a perfect fit. The shaft center lines did not match up. I had to find a drill bit just a hair smaller then the shaft through the distributor shaft and then drill through. Once that was done it was tap the roll pin into place.

PICT5525.jpg

Then cleaned up the original flatty mounting plate and installed. Not sure of the reasoning behind the timing marks plate that was on there, but I did not re-install it.

PICT5526.jpg

PICT5527.jpg

Brian I'm impressed with all your hard work, but will this preform any better than a Pertronics conversion? Seems like a lot of work which I can understand because I like to do some things out of the box as well. Just curious.

:eek::D

Thanks for the kind words Olddaddy and others....I think Tim sums it up well. ;)

you can get parts to support this modification at any big box store and on the cheap compared to having to pay out the yang for a pertronix unit and be down until it arrives in the mail..this is the why and wherefore on my modified distributor..

Only other thing I'd add is I'm cheap, and my labor don't cost me anything. And yes I like to do things outside the box...just 'cuze...:D