Clutch adjustment...just to clarify Im doing it right.

Socal48

The clutch pedal on my 48' has no pedal play and it fells like it slips, in searching on here, I read a lot of threads on how to adjust my clutch and want to make sure I understand how it works.

The overcenter spring is for helping the pedal come back to it's position and is not for adjusting the clutch, the adjustment screw is the one that connects to the fork and I should loosen the nut turn it counterclockwise till I get about an 1" of play on the pedal, is this correct?

The service manual shows a set screw at the bottom of the pedal to set height is this correct?

JP

Thanks Don, that exploded view you have posted on several different threads is what helped me figure out what was kinda going on.

If I pull the cover off the tranny, is the need for a clutch clearly visible, I mean will I be able too tell if it's trashed or ???

Only real way to tell if the clutch disc is trashed is to remove it for inspection. This requires removal of the transmission, pressure plate, and disc. Try the adjustment first.

You can get a peek at the friction disc by removing the sheetmetal bottom cover and have an assistant push down the pedal, you can usually tell thickness if not actual condition of the friction material.

You need to make the adjustment that shortens the rod, as with no freeplay the fork is keeping the throwout bearing from fully releasing the fingers of the pressure plate.

Edited by greg g