What was your first car? Slightly OT

JohnTeee

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first car 1948 Ply 4 door. It had a new baby blue paint job. It was 1968 the car cost me $75.00 and a week later on Easter Sunday I blew the engine doing 35 MPH on the way home from church. Replaced the engine with a $35 engine from the junk yard.

By the way the car green now and the engine has never been overhauled, although it should be.

Harold Swanson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swaniesplymouth/

Edited by 48ply1stcar
did not show my signature

My first car was a 1948 Dodge 4 door.

I bought it in 1970 for $200.00

Beautiful car.:)

After driving it for approx 12 months the brakes failed.

I couldn't afford the $75.00 I was quoted to fix them.

I sold it for $150.00.

This was my biggest regret of my life but at least it opened my eyes up to what fantastic vehicles the "Pentastar" brand manufactured.;)

Never got over that loss, however I feel my 1940 Chrysler Royal Coupe (C25)

shall go a long way towards covering up for that loss.:D

Mick.

My first car was a 1930 Model A at 14 years old, 1953. Second car was a 1946 Plymouth Coupe, Third car was a 1936 Plymouth Coupe, Forth car was a 1947 Plymouth Sedan, Fifth car was a 1959 Cadillac Coup-De-Ville with Tri- power and air ride.

Now my daily driver is a 2005 Buick and a 1997 Dodge 1500 Ram Pickup and tucked away in the garage for the winter is a 1948 Plymouth Coupe.

Skip

I bought my first car in 1969. It was a 1960 Hillman Husky, kind of a miniature station wagon. It had a bad ring gear on the flywheel so the starter wouldn't engage, however, it did come with a crank. The running boards were rotten and I replaced them with varnished mahogany - very stylish (?) I ran that car to high school for 6 months or so and then replaced it with a 1965 Sunbeam Minx.

Dave

first car was a 1964 barracuda, 273ci push button 904. only year barracudas with the push button,,that was about 1974, paid 350 bucks,,really wanted a 65 fast back mustang,, grew to love the early barracudas,,and ive owned them all my life now,,,my current model ive had for 27 years,,,

by the time i wass driving end of 74 the car was painted and ready to roll,,,,i really miss that cuda,,,

2 door sedan, bought in '58. Babbitt rod 216. Dad and I overhauled it, rings, removed rod shims, valve job, got my license in '59 and I drove it for a year or so. Then drowned it in a flooded creek. Replaced with a really nice 52 chev w/later inserted rod 235.

On topic: at that time my Dad's car was a really slick 54 Dodge Coronet with the little hemi and powerflite that he bought in 55 or 6. It replaced a 49 Plymouth that was just the most indestructible vehicle ever.

48 P15 4Dr. Got it in 1954 and drove it until 57 when I bought a new 57 Chevy Belair HT with all the bells and whistles for $2868.00 Sold the plymouth to a soldier stationed at the Presidio of San Francisco for$ 300. He gave me $100.down and promised to pay me $50 a month for the the next 4 mos. SOB skipped the State and stiffed me for the $200. I sold the Chevy in 61 for $1100 and bought a 59 T Bird. I have regretted that move ever since. I could go on and on about all the cars I have had and should have kept, but there is no use in crying over spilt milk at this point in my life. Live & learn

I purchased my first car in 1948, a '40 Chevy business coupe for which I paid $950. I was shy of my 14th birthday. I kept the car for less than a year, I traded it in for a '41 Chevy Delux 4dr sdn that set me back $1,400. At that time, the price of used cars was still controlled by the OPA, a governmental agency that was established at the start of WWII, which set the price of cars at the 1941 level to stop black marketing of vehicles.

Within a few short months the OPA was disbanded and the price of used cars tanked, my '41 Chev was only worth $350. I traded the '41 for a '38 Chevy 4dr that was paid for.

That little episode should have taught me a lesson that cars were a very poor investment, it did not, I have been a major supporter of car dealers my whole life.

My father had a '39 Dodge during the winter of 1948. The thing would not start in the Idaho subzero themp's unless someone went out and started it around mid-night, keeping it running until it was well warmed up. The job feel onto my shoulders. I really disliked that Dodge and was very happy when dad sold it...Bill

My 1st car was a 1938 Ford Standard 4dr Sedan, bought it in 1969 for $30.00, I was aged 15, realised after a couple of mths it was a rust bucket & sold it for $20.00.............lol........as I was a budding hot rodder I should have a coupe..........1st coupe I saw was a 1940 Dodge Coupe.......paid $40.00 for that in 1970 and promptly pulled it apart.........then I needed spare parts for it.........1st 1940 Dodge I saw advertised was a 1940 Dodge 4dr sedan..........bought it in September 1971 was $40.00, we got it for $15.00 and decided that as it has 1.5 mths rego and was complete I'd fix it up.........attched "Dodge Story" pic is the only pic I have of the 40 coupe, this was taken b4 I bought it, the small i/2 shot of the Dodge sedan is a pic I took when I 1st bought it, only I wasn't much of a camera guy......lol....and the final pic is as the Dodge is now.........sold the coupe yrs ago .........andyd

post-1938-13585365228635_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585365229666_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585365230565_thumb.jpg

My first car was a just out of high school in 1972. I bought a 1964 Chevy van. I put shag carpets, paneling and a bed platform in it. I just had to have a Hippie Van.:cool: First antique car was in 1974, a 1955 Olds 98 Holiday 4 door hardtop. Payed $75 for it running and driving great. Wisconsin car full of rust. Interior was perfect. Had a lot of fun in college in that car.

If he had been coming for my daughter in that thing, I would have had to introduce him to her Uncles Smith, Wesson, and Remington. I would also have been forced to tell him about the 20 acres of landlocked property in the mountains and showed him my brandy new pick and shovel.

I bought my first car in 2004. It was/is a 1965 Corvair Monza 4 door hard top. My dad and I went through it and it was on the road in 9 months. It was supposed to be my everyday car, but it came out too nice. I then decided to buy another Corvair for and everyday driver. I bought a 65' Corsa coupe with the 140/4spd. I went though that car, it too was too nice for the salty winters, so I ended up driving a cheap ford ranger (good truck). I sold the green coupe for a new project and bought my 52' B3B.

post-7184-13585365243791_thumb.jpg

post-7184-13585365244116_thumb.jpg

All that's missing is a sticker saying, "If you see dis van a'rockin, don't come knockin!"

Cheers!

John

It had that sticker. Also one that said "If you value your life as much as I value this van, don't **** with it!" And on the dash "Don't just sit there, watch for cops". Belonged to a custom van club that had 300+ members. When we went someplace we would have a line of vans sometimes a mile long. We put on custom van/truck shows in the Pontiac Silverdome. We had Henry Winkler (The Fonze) and Linda Carter (Wonder Woman) signing autographs.

My first car was a '67 Ford Galaxie station wagon. Bought it for $650 in 1979. As with most of you'uns, sure wish I still had it. Granted it wasn't very old back then, it would be a show winner today. But, alas, Bossie the cow wandered into the road just past a curve on a dark night. I drove 5 miles to the police station with a dead cow on my hood. That was on one of those Texas Farm to Market (FM) roads so the owner couldn't be held liable, but I still had to report it. (When I tell that story to my kids, they ask why I didn't just call the police on my cell phone - silly kids - trying to make me feel old before my time.) Fresh out of High School and I couldn't afford to fix it so I sold it for parts and bought a '66 Chrysler Imperial - thus beginning the Mopar saga.

Free range...but somebody had to pay the price...used to be here in Georgia that if you hit wildlife on the road there was no insurance deductible..(as told by father in law)..with the abundance of deer today and the pig bomb that went off..they did away with that...It made sense to me..state claims ownership to the wildwife..they assume responsibility..that and the insurance commision caved to the companies..

Robert is correct..the Discovery channel did a feature on this population explosion of the feral hog..they are crossed with the wild Russian boar...they can be very mean and are extremely cagely animals..I have walked through river bottoms amid the acorn flats and you would swear it looked like a John Deere with a sets of harrows had come through moment earlier..Google the Discovey channel for the next airing..if shows up quite frequent.