Will a 51-52 Plymouth grill fit a 50 Plymouth?

addicted2dunes

I'm thinking not....the shape of the hoods on the 49/50 is distincly different than that of the 51/52 The width of the hoods and the associated trim along it and as it adjoins to the fenders will not match the opening and am sure the lower grill openings (part of the fender width) is also larger on the 51/52 and believeing all this is is due to the actual width of everything as the fenders on the later modelhave an exaggerated bulge..Not saying with some modification you cannot get the catfish mouth grill onto the 50...just that it will be done with a bit of effort..

Definitely not interchangeable. The front-end sheet metal and front doors are completely different between the 1950 and 1951-2 cars. The later hood has a flat front and the 1950 has a rounded, bull-nose shape. If you try to put a 1951 front end on a 1950 car, the fender will not match up with the 1950 door because the contours are different.

• 8 years later...

No....not at all.

Referring to putting a 1950 Plymouth grille in a P23 nose.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, dpollo said:

short answer, No.    Front clip. No.  The 51 is significantly wider at the windshield.

When I got my '51 business coupe, it had a '50 nose on it.  I believe the hood was tied down instead of being attached by the hinges.   The 'body man' who did the work also bent the front edge of each door inward a little bit to clear the back edge of the front fender.  Luckily those bent back into the correct shape easily.

You can make anything fit with a big enough sledge hammer...?

• Haha 2