48Dodger

half round vs. rectangular  

52 members have voted

1. 1. half round vs. rectangular

• half round 48-52
    • rectangular 53-83
    • love both
    • open wheel kinda guy/ no fenders please

Someone mentioned the rear fenders on our trucks and raised an interesting question. Which do you prefer? The half round utility trailer fender (48-52) vs. the wrecktangular fender (53-83)......

48D:D

I'm kind of partial to the round fenders since that's what's on my truck. In my opinion Dodge should have waited to change the fenders 'til the '54 model year. It makes the B-4 models an oddball in the B-Series. The '53 seems to be a transitial model. A "B+" if you will... B-Series up front/C-Series out back.

Merle

i like the round fenders myself. they better match the openings on the front.

Good point Maverick...can honestly say I didnt think of that.

48D

Merle I think truck makers did that as a way to spread out the costs of retooling. Look in the middle of the C series they changed the cab. Dads international pickup is the same way. He's got a 55 R series that uses the same front clip and box as the other R trucks but has different doors with bigger windows etc and a 1 piece rear window instead of the split one.

Hey B1B KEVEN!.....you took down your post/pic....??? you beat me fair and square before I put up the 48-52 version. I should have taken mine down...lol

48D

Hey B1B KEVEN!.....you took down your post/pic....??? you beat me fair and square before I put up the 48-52 version. I should have taken mine down...lol

48D

It was close. :D

Ya know, you've probably seen my truck runnin' around your neck of the woods. I used to drive it from Elk Grove up to Columbia and San Andreas.

I thought I prefered the '52 to the '53 until I compared finished trucks with both fenders. I prefer the '52 for the 'older' look but the '53's give a modern 'step side' view which is also very nice.

It's a lot like the question' "Is it the girl or the dress"?

Since I'm a '53 owner, that's the style I'm more fond of of course. Dodge liked them a lot too, I guess that's why they were made for so many years.

When I first got my truck, I was unaware of previous style and then saw an older truck on the street somewhere. I thought "who's boat trailer did those fenders come off of?!!!" LOL This was way before this site was online so I was "uneducated" at the time....haha.

• Haha 1

The 1953 B-4 rear fender shape doesn't match the front fender curve. I'm all for the 1948-52 style.