48 Years Ago Today (ot)

1940plymouth

I was working in a shipyard on the west coast.A co-worker came by with the news.

I remember it like it was yesterday.

I was 4 years old, at home with my mom.

I remember Mom getting a phone call from my Dad, who was at work. It was weird, cause Dad never called from work. I remember Mom hanging up the phone and breaking down in tears. I was scared that Gramma or Grampa had died, until Mom turned on the TV and explained what happened.

I remember that for the next three days there was nothing else on TV.

Just a few years ago I watched the video of Walter Cronkite on CBS getting choked up announcing the President's death. Brought a tear to my eye.

Whatcha do to deserve that? ;)

He tried pass me as I turned to the left with my new schwinn bike! Dumb cop! Poor wounded me! Got to watch all of the Kennedy news reports in the hospital for a month though. :)

I always remember my folks talking about where they were Dec 7 and I thought it was silly to remember one day like that. Now I find I am remembering one day.

Sequoia High School, Redwood City, California. My junior year. I was in PE. The principal came over the intercom but no one paid any attention. When it finally sunk in I remember there was no sound except the basketballs that had been abandoned and were bouncing to a rest. They echoed in the quiet gym. They let school out.

What a sad day. The end of Camelot.