OT the car we got from Calif

BeBop138

MRWR: I would guess many like myself have been quietly following this build. I am more then impressed at what they are doing. One observation: He referrs to the "kid". What a talent that "KID" is, and to do this as a father / son project is inspiring.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see many comments on your thread. I think you deserve a hearty "atta boy". You've taken on a daunting project and, with quality time with your son, you're turning a rust bucket into something pretty special. Good job!
You have done a fantastic job on your ride too---great craftmanship.

MRWR: I would guess many like myself have been quietly following this build. I am more then impressed at what they are doing. One observation: He referrs to the "kid". What a talent that "KID" is, and to do this as a father / son project is inspiring.
The Kid does pretty good---we did get some help from a good friend on the roof---neither of us has tried to do this----he was of great help. Outside of these spots the car is sound---much more than a lot of others we looked at----any California car is usually ten times better than what you would find in Minnesota----the challenge is the fun--(sometimes) :D The Kid comes in once a week and Dad works on it after work---happy with the progress so far..........Thanks for the kind words.......Lee

More work tonite---capped off the area by the bumper bracket---added a new piece of re-inforcement and a small 90 degree bracket to hold two pieces together that seperated---this was fun---welded this blind---could barley see it----all this sub stucture stuff won`t be pretty but it tightens everything back up. Finish a little more in this area and we will be ready for the lower panels..............Lee

post-1652-13585365849569_thumb.jpg

post-1652-13585365850308_thumb.jpg

post-1652-13585365851002_thumb.jpg

Wow, great job on the repair work so far. I'm hoping to avoid having to do this at all, for the reason that I've never welded or done metal shaping before in my life.
Don`t let it scare ya---wire feed welding is a lot easier. Take a course, it will save you a lot of cash if you can do it yourself. Thanks for the kudos.....Lee

Got the rest of the sub structure done---got the ledge piece in for the spare tire too----got a piece to put in the tailgate corner---just like the piece on the drivers side---seems they rot out in the same area. The kid comes tomorrow nite---hope to get a good jump on the quarters..........Lee

post-1652-13585365867607_thumb.jpg

post-1652-13585365868581_thumb.jpg

post-1652-13585365869173_thumb.jpg

Worked on the pass side rear quarter----got the first piece fitted and ready for welding---used my buds stamping tool -, it puts a jog in the metal so the pieces come flush together---neat tool. If all goes well the other small piece and the spare tire area will be all done this weekend---then on to the drivers side...........Lee

post-1652-13585365917149_thumb.jpg

post-1652-13585365917916_thumb.jpg

post-1652-13585365918998_thumb.jpg

I finished up the pass side lower quarter and corner piece on the tailgate. Still have to put the bottom piece in for the spare and finish the stich welding. If you notice I had to use two lower quarter pieces because they don`t make them for the wagons. Took a little longer but got it figured out. The piece near the back on the original piece has a higher rise as it comes to an end (by the bumper)--- the aftermarket one I clamped in place over the original and fired up the torch and got it glowing red and formed it over the original---with the help of a hammer---came out OK. This side still has some dents to pull out but the rust repair is done----hope to have the other side done this week............Lee

post-1652-13585365951508_thumb.jpg

post-1652-13585365952214_thumb.jpg

post-1652-13585365953077_thumb.jpg

I got the spare area done---except for the spare tire bracket---which we may leave out. Used some more of the old roof to make the bottom piece---thick stuff---made it real sturdy. On to the drivers side quarter tomorrow---get the spot welds drilled out and ready for the Kid to show up Thursday nite---after this side is finished there is a very small amount of rust repair left to do. This will be nice cuz we can get on to the putty work---starts to look like a car once this happens................Lee

post-1652-13585366003901_thumb.jpg

post-1652-13585366004739_thumb.jpg

post-1652-13585366005824_thumb.jpg

Well the Kid came over tonite and started pulling dents on the pass side rear. The fender lip was pushed in about a half inch and a dent above that was pretty good sized---all pulled out better than expected. I cut into the drivers side rear quarter and got that ready for the weekend---hope to be done with that by the time the Kid shows up next week.Here is a pick of the Kid pulling dents, plus a couple more..........Lee

post-1652-13585366034681_thumb.jpg

post-1652-1358536603542_thumb.jpg

post-1652-13585366036235_thumb.jpg

post-1652-13585366037068_thumb.jpg

Well the Kid came over tonite and started pulling dents on the pass side rear. The fender lip was pushed in about a half inch and a dent above that was pretty good sized---all pulled out better than expected. I cut into the drivers side rear quarter and got that ready for the weekend---hope to be done with that by the time the Kid shows up next week.Here is a pick of the Kid pulling dents, plus a couple more..........Lee

I noticed on my dent puller, it welds the pin to the metal and you use the slide hammer to pull the dent out. Problem is, when I attach the slide hammer to the stud, and start pulling it, the stud comes off and leaves a hole where it pulled the metal up with it. Do you know what would cause that?

I tried leaving the stud welder on for less time, but then when I try to use the slide hammer it just pops off (without leaving a hole) right away. The metal I was trying to pull out was probably 1/8" thick.

I noticed on my dent puller, it welds the pin to the metal and you use the slide hammer to pull the dent out. Problem is, when I attach the slide hammer to the stud, and start pulling it, the stud comes off and leaves a hole where it pulled the metal up with it. Do you know what would cause that?

I tried leaving the stud welder on for less time, but then when I try to use the slide hammer it just pops off (without leaving a hole) right away. The metal I was trying to pull out was probably 1/8" thick.

Some of your cheaper nails require more heat to grab to the metal, but then you just end up burning through the metal. All you can do is try to find the happy medium where it does what you want it to do without pulling a hole.

You can also try pulling the nail with gental pulls rather than a full slide. It may not look like your pulling the dent out, but gradually it will pull. Another method that works well is keep pulling pressure on the nail while tapping the outer perimeter of the dent with a flat hammer and then release the puller. Look for the results.

Hope that helps!

Darren

Sortof related. A friend of mine in a car accident had one cheek bone caved in. The doctors were considering thier options so he (an automechanic) told them to pull it out like a caved in fender. They thought it out and it WORKED! The Doc's were a bit surprised.

We used a Mo-clamp--you weld a 1-2-3 inch tab to the area you want-- then attach the slide hammer to that. We put it on the upper and lower edge of the fender lip and it pulled it real nice. Then you use a cut off wheel on the tack welds and score a line and bend the tab off---then grind the welds down......Lee

Found another rust hole---rear wheel well drivers side---I have already made the small patch pieces and treated the area with rust paint. Will put the patch pieces in tomorrow nite---the Kid is coming Thurs nite and will pull some more dents---after that we start grinding down the welds and get ready for mud..............Lee

post-1652-13585366131053_thumb.jpg

post-1652-1358536613183_thumb.jpg

post-1652-13585366132604_thumb.jpg

It has been fun watching your progress' date=' but by the looks of your thumb, there has been a "Price" paid[/quote'] That`s the Kid---he was in a hurry one nite and slammed his thumb in a car door at the shop-----he was coming to work on the car that nite----he came and later heated up a paper clip and burned a hole in his nail to take the pressure off. He will live to tell the tale:D..............Lee