Real world Route Van serial number information needed

townwagon

Guys,

I am trying to nail down the exact serial number ranges, years, and models of Route Van to make sure the serial number decoder is using correct information.

I have a lot of information from books, but I don't have more than a couple tags images from actual Route Vans. Can anyone share an image of their serial number tag from a Route Van with me?

Right now I have conflicting information from a few parts books, and the tags I do have images of only add to the confusion as there is so little data. With a few more tags from actual trucks I should be able to nail down what Dodge actually did, vs what some of the books claim they did.

Does anyone know who owns this truck?

http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/dodge/1953_route_van/imgcol/index.htm

I would like to contact the owner and ask for a picture of his tag.

Hopefully I can get some good data from a few people and clear up the questions that have come to light.

I need to update the serial number decoder (I think it has a mistake right now) and I want to make sure my information is as correct as possible for the update.

Thanks,

Eric

Looks like an EU. Whoopsie-mistake. That is a DU route van-6 lug 1 ton chassis in the link above. There was and still might be a EU 1-1/2 tonner in a wrecking yard in Hermiston Oregon. I'll look through all my Data plates and see if I have any.

Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

That is likely, but what I am trying to get are numbers off the tags. I have books full of numbers, but unlike the standard trucks I only have 2 Route Van tags to compare to the books. Right now the books are in conflict and I don't have enough tags to be sure what Dodge actually did. With more tag information I can most likely get closer to figuring out what numbers are right. An even more useful bit of information would be the build cards for a few Route Vans, that would allow me to associate build dates with the serial numbers.

If anyone has a Route Van, or knows of one sitting nearby, I would be grateful for the numbers off of it.

I was told there is one over on the Great Lakes Dragaway grounds, does anyone know if it is still there?

Eric

post-282-13585364692463_thumb.jpg

Does anyone have any Route Van books other than this list

D-12199 Copyright 1948 Advance List Of Parts B-1DU B-1-EU (white cover, blue lettering)

D-12699 Issued June 1949 Dodge Route Van Parts List B-1-DU B-1-EU (Blue cover, black lettering)

D-13899 MoPaR Dodge Route Van Parts List B-Series Issued August 1951 (Blue with silver lettering)

D-14475 MoPaR Parts List for Dodge Route Van issued March 1953 (loose leaf)

Service manual supplement D-12573

Service Operation Time Schedule D-12832

Service Reference Book

Special kit B Serviceing the Dodge Route Van

Special kit B-1 Steering & clutch

Special kit B-2 Rear suspension & drive

Drivers Manual

D-12252 50M 8-48 B-1-DU B-1-EU (Blue)

D-13540 Dodge Route Van Driver's Manual B-3-DU B-3-EU (Red)

D-13540 (Second Edition) Dodge Job Rated Route Van Driver's Manual B-3-DU, B-3-EU (Green)

D-15242 Driver's Manual C-3 Series Models PW, DU, EU

Sales Literature

1949 (Blue) DMA-6604-10-48

1951 (Green) "Dodge Route Vans" DMA-7531-2-51

1952(maybe 1953?) (Orange) "Dodge Route Vans" DMA-7973-5-52

1949 (small white) "Fluid drive on the Dodge Route Van" DMA-6640 10-48

Mostly I am looking for any other parts books. The main 1955-56 C-3 parts book for example says "Except Power Wagon and Route Van", but I have never seen a C-3 Route Van parts book. Maybe that book would shed some light on this question?

Thanks,

Eric

Edited by townwagon
Found new books.

Bob,

That would be great if you had a tag or two from a Route Van, let me know what you find.

This is looking to be a longer term project as there are not that many of these around. If you ever get back to the junkyard with the Route Van I would be grateful for pictures of the truck and the tags.

It is always handy to back up what the books claim with real world numbers, the problem is finding those real world numbers. I had the same sort of problem with the earliest version of the serial number decoder (when it only covered PWs) and the split between 1955 and 1956 Power Wagons, it took me two years to gather enough data to answer that one simple question!

Thanks,

Eric

Looks like an EU. Whoopsie-mistake. That is a DU route van-6 lug 1 ton chassis in the link above. There was and still might be a EU 1-1/2 tonner in a wrecking yard in Hermiston Oregon. I'll look through all my Data plates and see if I have any.

Bob

Eric,

I looked through all my Vin plates and have no EU or DU Vin plates. If I get over there again I'll check both rigs out if I see them.

Bob

Thanks for looking Bob! If you get a chance to document those other trucks someday I would be grateful.

I found three Route Vans on one junkyard run (across 8 states) back in 2002, but I wasn't documenting things back then the way I am now. So all I have are a couple outside pictures of each truck, no tags!

I'm kicking myself now, as I haven't found a single Route Van since and it has been nearly a decade.

There was also a rusty one near me and I went and parted it out with a guy that needed the parts for his Route Van, but neither one of us documented the tag. That is four that I missed out on. Based on that one run in 2002 I thought I would find one every once in a while, but despite crawling through row upon row of Metros and Chevy Step Vans, I have never found another Route Van hiding in a junkyard.

Thanks again for looking for me.

Eric

Found two more books for the list:

D-14475 MoPaR Parts List for Dodge Route Van issued March 1953

D-15242 Driver's Manual C-3 Series Models PW, DU, EU

I just forgot the parts list on the first list, but the Driver's Manual is new to me as well.

Anyone got anything else? Especially a 1954 and newer parts list?

Eric

I came across this route van service reference book on Ebay Eric... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mopar-1948-Dodge-Route-Van-Steering-Clutch-Brake-Lock-/350467753655?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51998186b7#ht_500wt_1180 .

Would it offer you any of the information that you are after? It says on the cover that the book was prepared by the Chrysler Corp.

Desotodav

post-7583-13585364766779_thumb.jpg

Desotodav,

Thanks for thinking of me, but that book is already in the list and I have a copy here. It is a pretty limited book that is supposed to help mechanics become familiar with the Route Van. There are no serial numbers in it.

My main reason for listing all the Route Van literature I could think of was the hope that somewhere out there was stuff I hadn't seen. Since I have been buying anything new I spotted for the last few years I am not surprised that nothing new has popped up yet.

Unfortunately it seems that most of the questions I have can only be answered by numbers from actual trucks and the actual trucks are hard to come by. Nobody seems to have the magical piece of paper where Chrysler informed the dealers how the numbering system would work. It may be out there, but it has not fallen into my hands yet.

Eric

I just helped a friend get an EU Route Van running again after being parked for 35+ years. The data plate is virtually unreadable, but I will try to find a number on the frame and post back.

Also wondered if anyone has a rear differential half shaft or just the female yoke they would be willing to sell, as the one on this van is missing.

• 1 year later...

One thing to try is to look for them for sale and call the owners. They may be able to provide a tag number.

Like this one.

http://www.autozin.com/Dodge,29,model,1949-Dodge-Route-Van-Ambulance--McCook-,153834.html

• 6 years later...

There is a route van listed in the CL referral forum.  The ad has a photo of the tag.  Thank you.

Tom Anderson

Paonia CO

970-986-1020

vikingminer49er@gmail.com

• 1 month later...

Serial Number: 84203640, Model Number: B-1-DU-117

20171129_122658_HDR.jpg

20161010_144647.jpg