high beam indicator

Plymouthy Adams

While back this subject came up..I just came across the pictures I have..the red lens is the tip end of a LED that was chucked up in the drill press and using a file cut to fit in the hole with light pressure..normal lamp below...the turn indicators being very dim was given new lenses underneath to highlight the green ..slightly out of focus

What I ended up doing with mine is going to a hobby store and getting some spare clear plastic that is used to hold the plastic window pieces for a car model. It's translucent and light travels through it so I sanded and polished the rounded end and painted it with a translucent red. Needless to say, it fit in well and illuminates nice. The one with the turning indicators is also nice, too.

BTW....there is an indicator on Ebay right now. I was curious to know if the red lense they have in there is the original. What do you think? Too bad an original picture of it doesn't exist.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Plymouth-1946-1947-1948-46-47-48-high-beam-dash-light_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ140738QQihZ007QQitemZ170043136734QQrdZ1

Tim,

I found a high beam/turn signal unit from a Dodge to install in my '41 Plymouth in place of my high beam only indicator. Apparently the Dodge ones with turn signal indicators are more common than the Plymouth ones with turn signal indicators. When I went to install it I discovered that the shaft on the Dodge unit was straight while the shaft on my Plymouth highbeam indicator was at an angle and it would not work on my dash that way. I ended up cutting off the shaft from the Dodge unit then angling the cut end to match the Plymouth angle. I then used JB Weld to reattach the shaft at the correct angle for my Plymouth. Works fine.

Jim Yergin

That's great to hear. I bought a dodge one in the hopes of being able to get it to work on my plymouth. That gives me most of what I need for factory signals. I still need to make or find the canceling ring that goes on the bottom of the steering wheel. Anyone got a picture of that?

I found a cancelling ring at Hershey this year. Had to buy the steering wheel it was on but it was still a bargain. Before that I had fabricated one that worked. I have the pattern on my computer at home. I will post that and a picture of the ring I bought when I get home tonight.

Jim Yergin

Here are pictures of the self-cancelling ring I found at Hershey. I believe it is part #866923.

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

Before I found it I fabricated a substitute ring out of sheet metal. I see now that I had too many "legs" on it but it worked. I formed it over the end of a spare steering column and then pinced the legs in a vice. Here are some pictures and the pattern I used.

Selfcancellingring004.jpg

Selfcancellingring003.jpg

Template.jpg

Hope this helps.

Jim Yergin