Flathead differences

falconvan

I noticed another difference in these two 218s I'm working with. The one I removed had a balancer on the front pulley that looks like its held onto the pulley with 5 bolts. The engine I installed has the front pulley with no balancer but only two bolt holes across from each other. Can someone shed some light on that?

The two bolt holes are for puller bolts to remove the pulley from the crankshaft. There were various other pulley configurations used over the years (as you've discovered), but I don't know dates/styles. What are the two engine numbers you have? That would shed some light on the original applications.

I've also been trying to find an answer to this mystery. I have an engine that has a balancer and one that does not. I found some sales information that said the balancer was included in the Special Deluxe model but not the base model. Hard to believe it was model specific, but so far that's all I can find. If that's true then one would conclude that you could put the balancer on any engine with no problems. I would like to verify this but so far no luck. I guess we need to keep trying. 1949 P15 has a balancer the P23 does not both are 218's.

:eek::D

In those days cars were very price competitive.They often left off things like oil filters,vibration dampers, passenger side sun visors, arm rests, chrome trim and other niceties to reach a price point. Before the chrome and tailfin era of the mid fifties, any car maker could tell you without thinking about it that their most popular model would be the cheapest sedan in dark green, dark blue or black.

Are you sure? Where did you source this flat belt information?

What I should have said was 'wider' versus 'narrower'. There was a definite changeover during the 1950 model year. Later engines had a belt that was roughly 1/2" wide, earlier ones were 3/4". References: 1954 Mopar Parts List (check the p/n's for generator pulley, for example) and Rock Auto's 1950 Plymouth parts listings (they show two different sizes of belt). My pants have a flat belt!