Column to floor shift conversion on 53 cranbrook

Lakermatt

ah..I remember the pictures but could not recall who was modifying a shifter and building the prototype..I knew at the time the install had not been done but could not remember seeing a report of actual in the car road test...when do you think that news will be put on the street so to say..?

More Likely to go up for sale or sale with the 3-speed as the project has gone a different way.

Have installed a '94 5.2 Mopar with a 5-speed in the project.

The next project is a 53 Coupe. That will get a Red Ram Hemi with either a 5-speed or maybe an automatic. Still too early to tell and my Utility Sedan needs to be finished (or at least on the road) first.

I bought one that was modified long time ago and it was off a 53 desoto and boy id ugly! I havent had a use for it as i went back with the column shifter. I was into a look...not necesseraly what im into now. and THEY ARE NOT COMMON for the MOPARS pre-57. they are scarce and expensive!

I bought one that was modified long time ago and it was off a 53 desoto and boy id ugly! I havent had a use for it as i went back with the column shifter. I was into a look...not necesseraly what im into now. and THEY ARE NOT COMMON for the MOPARS pre-57. they are scarce and expensive!

Was it modified like this Mackster????:eek::eek::D If so You should sell it to Don C., :)as it would "match" his dice.....

post-2477-13585364268261_thumb.jpg

OK you win. Column shifters are a rotten idea, especially for Hydrive equipped Plymouths. Nobody in the history of the world ever made a floor shift conversion and if they did, none of them fit a Plymouth. I'm dumb, You're smart, and I have no right to comment about anything without swearing to it under oath. And any suggestion must be backed up with a complete illustrated 200 page manual of how to do the job.

Still waiting for your genius solution.

Rusty chill out. What the guys are saying is that the common off the shelf floor shift conversions you are remembering won't work without a lot of modifications. They aren't made for the mopar selector type transmissions. And yes they did make special floor shifts for the mopars but they are rare now. I've never seen one and I've heard maybe 1-2 guys on here throughout the years say they have one.

the fuss..you posting errounous information and links to material that is not in any manner appropriate because you have no clue what is needed in the first place...that is obvious to the most casual ovserver..stating use to be..and not worth the bother..did not in any manner answer the mans question..while I could not give him a link I did let him know the shifter is special only to these cars and not an easy item to score which in truth held more wisdom than you trvial reply..further I mentioned someone on here was working on a building one and by mentioning that fact they did weigh in and offer their knowledge...again..if for some reason you have problems not knowing or not caring to research the fact you should really abstain from posting bad information..and I further like to point out that you did not address the very points I pointed out that you wee quilty of...that says more than I could ever type here...in all seriousness, I have to repeat that contributors to this board one must keep in mind that we have a responsibility to post correct and proper data..that is the ultimate answer to the "whats the fuss"

OK you win. Column shifters are a rotten idea' date=' especially for Hydrive equipped Plymouths. Nobody in the history of the world ever made a floor shift conversion and if they did, none of them fit a Plymouth. I'm dumb, You're smart, and I have no right to comment about anything without swearing to it under oath. And any suggestion must be backed up with a complete illustrated 200 page manual of how to do the job.

Still waiting for your genius solution.[/quote']

just for prosperity......please get the facts..then move forward..you would have the man buy a universal floor shifter with no way to install it to work..at least I let him know that these were special..kicking about swap meets or post specific want ads is the better manner to source the shifter...I did not dangle the wrong item in his face offering false hopes and finacial waste of build dollars.

Hello all, looking for a floor shift conversion for my 53 Plymouth cranbrook. It still has the hydrive in it. Please let me know if you have one for sale or if you know anybody that does. Thanks!!!

...with all of the foregoing drama maybe a swap to a 5-speed is the easy answer to having a floor shift. As has been noted, you are not likely to find a 'bolt-on' unit for the Hy-drive trans.

Installing a T-5 was one of the best things I did to my car. But it sure makes it difficult to work under the dash as would any floor shifter.

Hey Don, on your T-5 conversion; where did you get your adaptor plate and how much was it? Also, which T-5 did you use? That's a really nice looking setup.

Hey Don, on your T-5 conversion; where did you get your adaptor plate and how much was it? Also, which T-5 did you use? That's a really nice looking setup.

I did not use a kit or adaptor plate. I modified my bell housing as required. To see pictures follow this link.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v65/DonCoatney/T-5/?start=all

Don, looks really great guy, however, looks like you need to work on "Dem-Der" kickboards !!! lol, Cass, alias littlemo ...:rolleyes:

Why? I can kick them and the only thing it hurts is my foot.

My P15 has a floor shifter on the original 3 spd trans, I have no idea what brand it is but it is very basic and pretty worn out, it does work though. It originally had a short (about 12" long) handle on it which wanted to occupy the same space as my right knee, I bent up a length of 1/2" round bar and made a more user friendly handle for it. Here's some pics of it:

Looking up from directly underneath:

post-7902-13585364301732_thumb.jpg

Better angle from underneath:

post-7902-13585364303595_thumb.jpg

Looking twards front of car:

post-7902-13585364304207_thumb.jpg

post-7902-13585364304901_thumb.jpg

Handle attachment, it just screws in w/jam nut:

post-7902-13585364305434_thumb.jpg

I believe that is a Mr. Gasket knockoff and you are probably correct about the JC whitey origin.

I had one very similar to that, it came on the trans attached to the 56 engine I bought.

I believe I shipped it off to Louman Earl of this forum, perhaps he still has it. They do work after a fashion. I find a well adjusted stock shifter to be just as effective as shifting quickly.

But I have a deluxe with no horn ring, so I reach through the wheel and grab it right next to the column and only need to move it about an inch and a half to effect a shift.

But power shifting a flatty is a moot exercise in most cases.