ggdad1951 truck project montage: FEF!

ggdad1951

I've only seen car motors with the sump pan at the back Mark. I don't reckon you can flip it around - so you might have to swap it. Depends on how badly your drag link hits it the sump - you can rotate the drag link a little and tighten it on the tie-rod nuts in a position to gain a small bit more clearance.

A quick comparison for you in the attached photos. 1st photo is my 52 Desoto truck engine when we first pulled it, and 2nd photo is a 54 Desoto car engine that I recently acquired.

Desotodav

post-7583-13585369403996_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585369404451_thumb.jpg

I've only seen car motors with the sump pan at the back Mark. I don't reckon you can flip it around - so you might have to swap it. Depends on how badly your drag link hits it the sump - you can rotate the drag link a little and tighten it on the tie-rod nuts in a position to gain a small bit more clearance.

A quick comparison for you in the attached photos. 1st photo is my 52 Desoto truck engine when we first pulled it, and 2nd photo is a 54 Desoto car engine that I recently acquired.

Desotodav

what in the name of washington's cherries did they do to my truck way back when? I know the engine has been swapped so maybe they swapped in a car motor.

BIG question: same basic motor but different sump and pan so I can just swap out parts and be ok? Sounds like another winter project!

Nah thats a quick afternoon project. Once you get the new one painted and ready to go of course. We can attempt to reverse mine to a rear sump and if it works that way it should work the other way for you. Or you can just trade my correct #'d engine for that one in your truck pans and all :D

Oh and I KNEW I should have taken a picture of the Badger tent that was just down the street from you.

I had to swap out my pan for a front sump too. The industrial engine in mine was to the back, just swap the pick-up tube, pan, and call it a day!

Nah thats a quick afternoon project. Once you get the new one painted and ready to go of course. We can attempt to reverse mine to a rear sump and if it works that way it should work the other way for you. Or you can just trade my correct #'d engine for that one in your truck pans and all :D

Oh and I KNEW I should have taken a picture of the Badger tent that was just down the street from you.

no picture = no proof! All hearsay! :D See ya at the show today, gonna find your vehicle after swap meetin'.

I had to swap out my pan for a front sump too. The industrial engine in mine was to the back, just swap the pick-up tube, pan, and call it a day!

good to know from both of you it's a simple swap! Now I just gotta drive careful till I get the parts and time to swap!

just for Merle...I had to include the Vikes tent next to me from the people from WisconSIN! :D

Must be transplants. No native Wisconsinite would dare fly those colors. ;)

Thanks Ed. It's good to hear he was in good company. :D

no picture = no proof! All hearsay! :D See ya at the show today, gonna find your vehicle after swap meetin'.

good to know from both of you it's a simple swap! Now I just gotta drive careful till I get the parts and time to swap!

I was thinking I can't believe no one else noticed so I flipped back through the thread. All the frame pictures are from an angle that doesn't show which end the sump is on!

• 2 weeks later...

Dave is a witch I tell ya, a WITCH! He got a tired old truck looking like brand new! Picked up all the black today....DANG good work, I can't say how pleased I am with Dave! THANKS SOOOO MUCH!

X-mas came early today:

2012-07-14180821.jpg

2012-07-14180953.jpg

There's no magic involved, just a lot of hours. It's been a long ten months, and I've learned a bunch from it that I can apply to the next project. Thanks for the compliments. I enjoyed doing it, even my wife says I did and she graciously gave up her parking spot in the garage a few nights when things were spread out and in paint. Like the rest of you, I look forward to seeing the truck completed, and then again, in person.

That truck and BED are too awesome to risk driving. It reminds me of this antedote: A preacher put his assistant in charge and took Sunday off to golf. Gabrial asked God if he could take charge and was granted permission. The preacher had a great day which included an hole-in-one. God chided Gabriel for allowing such to which Gabriel replied, "I did the correct thing, who is he going to tell?" ;)

Looking forward to the final product.

Dave;

I have a question for you. Did you go down to bare metal on all of it?

The cab is off and I've just started prepping the sheet metal on my truck. There is no cancer and only a very small amount of actual bodywork to do. I have started by cleaning up the old primer with 180 & 220. In some areas I am down to bare metal but in others there seems to be a good base. Do you think it is a bad idea to leave some of the old primer and paint?

To put this into perspective I am not trying to build a show truck. I think at this point that I am going to attempt to paint it myself. Nothing fancy just a decent work truck paint job. Probably a light tan. If I get a few sags or orange peel areas it is not the end of the world.

Thanks, Jeff

I think you are going to need a 24/7 security team to protect your truck. It's probably the nicest one I have ever seen. I noticed you have no Bulls Eye headlamps though! That truck deserves them for sure.

Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Dave;

I have a question for you. Did you go down to bare metal on all of it?

The cab is off and I've just started prepping the sheet metal on my truck. There is no cancer and only a very small amount of actual bodywork to do. I have started by cleaning up the old primer with 180 & 220. In some areas I am down to bare metal but in others there seems to be a good base. Do you think it is a bad idea to leave some of the old primer and paint?

Thanks, Jeff

Everything was down to bare steel. Some parts that had multiple layers were taken apart like the rivet areas on the front fenders. The bracket looked decent but that area has a double thickness and rust about rusted through between the layers. Some areas that looked like it had solid paint really wasn't. Rust was growing underneath the paint. It's not necesarily a bad idea to leave whats solid but I always wonder what it's hiding, especially on something this old and it's a lot of work feathering that paint back to get it level. 90 % of any good paint job is the prep. The best application of paint in the world won't cover up poor prep.

Dave;

Well you did a beautiful job. And believe me I have a pretty good idea of how hard you worked on Marks' truck.

Rust on this truck of mine is not nearly as bad as what you had to deal with. I have found some starburst type rust under the primer on the exterior of the cab. Nothing deep but it does appear in some areas. I guess it will have to get cleaned up.

Jeff

The best application of paint in the world won't cover up poor prep.

Amen bruther......:D

Awesome looking truck Mark....takes a lot to pull it all together like that!

48D