Rust on engine block

54Illinois

scrape the big crud off, wire brush the smaller crud off, pressure wash all the rest of the crud off, soap and water scrub the casting, apply Rust-Cure (or equivalent) on the dry casting and let it do its job...I've gone back with a smaller steel brush and scrubbed off any obvious deposits that won't take paint well and apply more Rust-Cure to make a continuous layer of phosporic acid treatment.

Yes old MoPar flatheads engines do get taken over by rodents....:eek:

Another Dodge engine with the same problem I dealt with!

I used various cleaners but found Oven Off to be most helpful. Used the putty knife, steel brush, etc and then finally steamed it thoroughly. They clean up, rust, dung, or whatever. Lots of work. Got to it, it's worth it. See mine run on You tube. Mopar Dodge Flathead and Mopar

Flathead-6. Instead of painting I clearcoated it five or six times. I like the "old" look and it should clean up ok.

post-23-1358536414806_thumb.jpg

post-23-13585364148422_thumb.jpg

post-23-13585364148753_thumb.jpg

Edited by pflaming

I had mine hot tanked then I used some zinc cromate primer, and aircraft engine hi-temp (500 deg) silver spray paint. For the exhaust manifold I used Rustoleium BBQ high temp spray paint (I think 1500 deg.)So far it has been holding up really well.

DSCN3551.jpg

DSCN3753.jpg

DSCN3757.jpg

DSCN3759.jpg

DSCN3761.jpg

DSCN3842.jpg

• Like 1

Both should be removed for the best cleaning. Cam bearings can be eaten up by cleaning chemicals.