C-435 Timing Indicator Tool Home Made

Tom Skinner

Gents,

I put this Timing Indicator Tool together for about $26.

First I bought a Pittsburgh Dial Indicator from Harbor Tool @ $12

Second a Dial Extention from COMP (ebay) for @$10.

Then a Brass Fitting some Copper Tubing, and a set Screw from my Local Hardware for @$4. It inserts into the Engine Head Plug above the 6th Cylinder to read Top Dead Center in order to set the Timing within 0.001.

Here is a picture of it. My Chrysler Service Manual shows it on page 86.

A Test Light (C-744) is also easy to make to go along with it.

• 7 months later...

Gents,

A Fellow by the name of Carlos just asked about this and I had just answered him and saw this thread is alive again.

I said I thought the brass nipple for the top of the block (over 6th cylinder) was 3/8", however, I may be wrong on the size. Just bring the plug to a good Hardware store and match it up.:)

Tom

Cpt. Fred,

I just posted it on Don's (Show your tools thead) Thread.

I just wanted to share with others how with a little thought most of the "Special" Tools that are needed/wanted for our cars can be made on the cheap with a little homework.:rolleyes:

Tom

Good job Tom.

You are correct that most tools can be duplicated with a bit of though.

Excellent Tom,

I guess I will be doing the same as the original tool is very difficult to find. What is the thread size for the plug on the head? Is it a tapered thread?

Carlos

Gents,

A Fellow by the name of Carlos just asked about this and I had just answered him and saw this thread is alive again.

I said I thought the brass nipple for the top of the block (over 6th cylinder) was 3/8", however, I may be wrong on the size. Just bring the plug to a good Hardware store and match it up.:)

Tom

1/8" tapered pipe thred is correct.

h1.jpg