E-brake question

Joe Flanagan

attached pic. hope it helps.

taking a pic is really impossible as theres too much crap in the way.

the clevis attaches with a pin thru the handle just behind the lower not on the handle. if you need a handle parts blowup let me know. however that pic does not show cable attached.:confused:

good luck

doug

Thanks for posting the diagram. Do all e-brakes have the spring at the back of the transmission to help pull the cable back when you release the handle? That would be part # 4-19-1 in your picture. Releasing it from inside the car I notice it won't go back on its own and seems like it would need that spring to help pull it back. Mine does not have one, by the way. Is it supposed to?

yes it needs a HEAVY spring to pull cable back.

in the pic from before you can see spring and an extension piece. the extension hooks into a hole under the car about 10-12 inches behind the e brake. this is such a heavy spring that i could not do it by hand. i hooked a tie down strap arround the rear end and used the ratchet mechanism to pull it to hook into the hole.

some of the other members can probably pull the spring, but in my condition-NOT!

as for finding one?? 50 chrysler products all used part#856339 for the spring and 50 ply 4dr. sdn and stn. wgn used 1123078 for the extension. maybe nos from a mopar parts place or-

maybe napa has something for big trucks??

Just more fun to look foward to.:rolleyes:

enjoy

Edited by DJ194950
add part #'s

Joe, see how you get on for the E-brake spring - otherwise I may be able to help you.

I just had some stainless steel E-brake springs made and sent for ggdad1951's truck. It would appear that the dimensions are slightly different between the truck and car, but otherwise they look to be the same sort of set-up. I would just need detailed photographs and dimensions of your springs to pass onto my Spring Maker. All of the various truck springs that I have had made to date have come in at less than $10 each. Postage to USA has varied (depending on the weight of the article sent) between $10 and $25.

Photos attached are of the truck E-brake springs recently made/sent, and of the truck E-brake set-up from the parts manual.

PM me if I can assist you.

Desotodav

post-7583-13585364074506_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585364074832_thumb.jpg

attached pic. hope it helps.

taking a pic is really impossible as theres too much crap in the way.

the clevis attaches with a pin thru the handle just behind the lower not on the handle. if you need a handle parts blowup let me know. however that pic does not show cable attached.:confused:

good luck

doug

What book is this picture from? I have a CD of one of the service manuals but the scans of the pictures are lousy!!!

What book is this picture from? I have a CD of one of the service manuals but the scans of the pictures are lousy!!!

:confused:

I actually got that pic from an original 49 plymouth parts book. very few changes mechanically from a 50. The book is pretty good with some pics, however i like the other original book i got off ebay that is 1950 mopar auto parts manuel, it has at least twice as many pictures. Good for looking for exchangeable parts too! It had the same pic as the one i posted, just used the first book that i found.

Last night I found some old snapshots I took of the interior of my car as I was taking it apart back in early 2002. This was before I had a digital camera. There amid the photos was a shot of the emergency brake handle and how it connects to the cable and the support bracket. That solved the problem for me. I was trying to attach the shackle to the wrong spot on the handle. Thanks to everyone for their help. I had no idea back then that these photos would be so valuable. It's not the first time they've gotten me out of a bind.

• Like 1