explain dashpots

p24-1953

okay i started rebuilding my new Carter D6P1 carb and dont quite understand it. i always thought that the dashpot was similar to and accelrator pump that worked when the throttle was relased. but as i exam it it dosent appear that there is any release for the gas that is compressed, except around the dashpot. is the dashpot just a fluid damper that slows the closing of the throttle, or is there something i am missing?

I'm not real sure myself, either, but I think you're basicallly right- it's sort of a shock absorber for the throttle return so it will come back to idle smoothly. Kinda like one of those toilet seat lids that goes down real slow.

I've got this type of dash pot in the carburator on my truck, which has Fluid Drive. I also wondered how it worked since there's no way for the gas to escape from under the plunger. After I rebuild my carb it seemed like the dash pot was too effective and wouldn't let the throttle come back to idle. I finally adjusted the screw mentioned in the previous post (on my carb this adjustment is in the top) until I limited the dash pot to zero stroke, removing it's function. I haven't noticed any stalling issues yet.

Merle