what is this? and what it do??? :)

mackster

I got a picture for you all..this little condenser is connected to the poisitive side of my coil. i just replaced the coil and i figure i would like to find out what does this thing do and if i need it. seems like a limiter maybe? wild guess....ooh and its the little cylindrical thing piggy backed to my new coil. :)

post-394-13585363312579_thumb.jpg

Radio or not "most" of the cars that had these had them to help prevent Radio noise interference. It may serve another purpose that I dont remember. Anyone else know another purpose?

really! well thank you guys for the info! i removed it. and it didnt do anything... so i put it back on and left ti alone. what is it called? i kinda weant to buy me a new one. this one is all beaten up and the wire is all frayed..

really! well thank you guys for the info! i removed it. and it didnt do anything... so i put it back on and left ti alone. what is it called? i kinda weant to buy me a new one. this one is all beaten up and the wire is all frayed..

Did a little research on the condenser pictured and the main thing Ive seen is for AM or CB radio noise reduction. It can double as protection to help keep voltage spikes in the system from damaging your points.

Its been a long time since I purchased one but when I got one I went in and asked for a radio noise suppressor telling the counter guy it was the one that screws to the coil bracket. They look more like a regular condensor than the one you have pictured (last time I got one). I probably would specify 6V when talking to your parts person.

Did a little research on the condenser pictured and the main thing Ive seen is for AM or CB radio noise reduction. It can double as protection to help keep voltage spikes in the system from damaging your points.

Its been a long time since I purchased one but when I got one I went in and asked for a radio noise suppressor telling the counter guy it was the one that screws to the coil bracket. They look more like a regular condensor than the one you have pictured (last time I got one). I probably would specify 6V when talking to your parts person.

thank you for that info. i will do that1 :)

like the one inside the distributor? hmmm..so i do have a spare one. :D

Most likely you do not have a spare one. Not all condensors are rated the same. Google "microfarads" for some interesting reading. A unit of capacitance equal to one millionth (10-6) of a farad. A farad is the charge in coulombs which a capacitor will accept for the potential across it to change 1 volt. A coulomb is 1 ampere second.

As far as the correct microfarad rating for a distributor condensor I am not sure.

Most likely you do not have a spare one. Not all condensors are rated the same. Google "microfarads" for some interesting reading. A unit of capacitance equal to one millionth (10-6) of a farad. A farad is the charge in coulombs which a capacitor will accept for the potential across it to change 1 volt. A coulomb is 1 ampere second.

As far as the correct microfarad rating for a distributor condensor I am not sure.

From memory a 6 volt Chrysler product takes a .25 Uf condenser. If it is important I could look it up. Either .25 or 25.

Would a 12 volt vehicle not be the same? I believe most all 12 volt distributors with points are reduced to 6 volts by a resistor of sorts.

Don,

The capacitor is used for transient noise suppression. DC voltage level is unimportant. The typical use for an additional cap was for RF noise reduction for your AM radio. Different capacitance value would affect different frequencies. Don look up the Q factor for a capacitor.

Chet…

If the condenser in your distributor is rated too high , a buildup will occur on one side of your points . If it is rated too low , the buildup will occur on the other half of your points . So you need one that is rated just right . The Motors Manuals gives the recommended ratings for each vehicle .