Time for carpet

spitfire

Hey everyone. The 1950 Chrysler is way overdue for carpet. The passenger side floor practically doesn't have any carpet left and the driver side isn't far off. I called SMS, and he said he can do a ready made carpet set for $375, which didn't seem too bad to me, but I don't know a whole lot about carpet kit prices, so feel free to chime in on what you recommend.

He sent me some samples, and while they look good, they're just carpet. The original style is ribbed. Is there anyone who manufactures this style carpet, or is this stuff long gone? I don't care if it's wool, I'm just curious about the pattern.

Thanks everyone,

Dan

Give Kanter a look see, Just about 2/3 the price and for me they worked out OK.

see link to my page:

http://www.chetscoins.com/1948p15/2011/08072011.htm

Chet...

The rug set with an extra yard was $257.60

Edited by Chester Brzostowski

EZ Boy Interiors, Roberts Motor Parts, and there are others, do a Google search.

Some carpet sets are better than others, most you have to cut holes for the gas pedal rod, and clutch brake rods pedal shafts too.

A good hot metal rod can burn through and seal the carpet hole edge at the same.

I opted to buy my own carpet, cut to fit, then had upholsterer, sew some of the edging, it is okay for now, but I will replace at some future point....

post-114-13585363294814_thumb.jpg

post-114-13585363295087_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rockwood

Thank you very much for all the help, everyone. Chester, that price is really decent (beautiful car, by the way). Kanter lists carpet at $210 for my car, which is really a big difference from $375. I will probably go with Kanter for now, as I've read that most seem fairly happy with it.

However, Tom, I think I will call Bill Hirsch before hand, to see what he charges for the material (I'm guessing he just sells the material, not an already made set). I don't know how much more expensive it would be to go that route and have someone local cut me a set and sew edging on it, but I'll look into it. I'm willing to spend a little extra to make it more accurate, but the car is a driver, not a concours car.

Also, using a heated rod or a soldering iron are things I never would have thought of. Thank you for that. I learn something new every time I enter this site.

Dan