Distributor difference

stan's52

My 52 distributor has a small cap # 1AT 4011 36094288. Someone gave me a complete distributor which has a larger cap # 1GS 4203A01 GZ00309. What is the difference other than the cap? Reason is the free one is in much better shape than mine. Mounting looks the same also, any reason I can't use it on my 52? Stan

the advances curves are slightly different depending on the application. Take the dist number to the parts store get the correct cap points and rotor and run it.

The dist in my 46 running the 56 engine is a from a 54 Dodge pickup. I have threee or four kicking around and I had them all tested on an old machine and this one tested closest to factory specs for its part number. the advance differences are slight enough to be meaningless.

The only thing to watch for is if it came from a 25 inch long block the drive tang is longer and will need to be switched with the one from the dist you have now.

I noticed before that there are two part code prefixes for distributors for our cars. IGS and IAT. They seem to apply to all the years and models. I have wonderd if these were for different markets or something, is one maybe for the Canadian market?

There are some variations within the lines also, how the cap is indexed, the height fo the body and how that applies to the height of the cap. Which side of the breaker cam the points are mounted on, the position of the vacuum advance chamber, whether the rotor has a tail on it or not, how the coil wire is fastened to the terminal, how the terminal is insulated from the body, but other thant eh length of the drive, they will interchange. With the possible exception of whether the vacuum line from the carb will reach the advance pot. I have posted some pictures between the difference in the three II have that I am not using, the pic might still be found by searching my posts under distributor.

IGS and IAT are different models of distributor. They use different points, cap, etc.

Dodge used the IGS model from 1940 (possibly earlier) to 1950. IAP 49-50 and IAT 50-54 (possibly later) (my reference book only covers 1940-54).

There will be a 4 digit suffix telling what exact car the distributor was used on, they may have had slightly different weights and vacuum cans for different advance curves.

For example IAT-4011 is off a 51-52 Plymouth 217, or 51-53 Dodge 230, six cylinder engine.

IGS-4203 A-1 is 1942 Dodge 230 or 42 Plymouth 217.

As for which one to use on your car I don't think you will notice any difference.

According to my Autolite catalog that cover 1938 - 51 the Autolite IGS series was used from 1938 - 1949 the IAP 49-50 and IAT 50-51. There is some over lap.

If you want more detailed information on specifics and for which model is used on which car or truck I have copied the entire full Autolite Manual onto a PDF format and is then copied onto a CD. The manula was over 215 pages of data. The cost is $15 and included shipping.

This is a great refernece manual for anyone that has an antique car and or truck. The manual covers Dist, Gen & Regs, Starters and switches, Speedometers and instruments Wipers and Horns and some misc information.

all for $15.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com