1949 Moredoor

falconvan

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like you've about got it done, just one thing tho' I noticed you had rubber fuel hose going to the Holley....it looked like it was close to the exhaust manifold.......not trying to be a nitpicker, just a bit concerned........lol.........regards, andyd

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, it was listed on Craigslist as a 360 but when I tore it down it turned out to be a 318. Ive never built a Mopar small block so I didnt think about checking to see if it was what they said it was. But I only gave $100 for it and everything inside looks really good so Im going to go ahead and use it. I read a couple of good budget build articles that squeezed 400 HP out of a 318with a stock short block. That's plently for what I want to do with it. Im going to stick a 5 speed behind it plus upgrade my brakes to 4 wheel disc and lower the car. After summer is over, that is. For now I'm driving it like it is while I work on my 48.

falconvan; Well actually I was trying to pull a "slick one" on you. :rolleyes: When I'm finished getting "the Rose" street ready, there will be very few actual 48 P15 mechanical parts left in her; soooo, I'm probably going to be looking for someone to take it (the parts frame-sands tires & wheels) off my hands ( kind of like the motor thing ). :D I spoke to a local Mopar guy John Teee about it, but my impression was his wife wouldn't be too excited about him parking it in their back yard !!:eek: That was a couple-three months ago, and I've not heard anything back from him, so it may be available later this summer if he doesn't want it??? :rolleyes: Cass, alias littlemo... Add; By the way, the steering sector in the "parts-frame" needs to be totally rebuilt !!!

Edited by littlemo

I know I change my mind as often as my socks but after more thinking I decided to ditch the whole small block idea, stay with the flathead, and add a five speed. It really runs great and mainly what I want it to have better highway manners so I think I just need more gears rather than more engine. The gest of it is that I've got a 318 in nice shape that will make a great street engine. Pictures and description are in the parts for sale section.

• 1 month later...

There were some holes in the hood from a missing piece of trim so my first thought was just to weld them up. Then I thought I would go ahead and just weld the whole seam and make the hood one piece. Finally i though I might as well add a peak so I filled all the old trim and emblem holes and welded a 3/16" rod down the seam. It's got a little ways to go to get it in primer but I like it so far.

post-2128-13585368057717_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585368057975_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585368058186_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585368058397_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585368058643_thumb.jpg

That's looking pretty good, I'll be watching your progress closely. If that hood turns out like I visualize it, Ill bring my spare hood up and let you get in some more practice !!:rolleyes: Cass, alias littlemo...:D

You bet, Cass. Id be happy to help you out. I might do this to my 48 hood, too.

I'm definately going to be a copy cat. What diameter dowel did you use?

Have at it; ideas are meant to be shared. I used 3/16" rod from Lowes. A word of advice; weld very small sections at a time (1") skip around, and let it cool frequently. I got a little over anxious to get it done and have some small waves in the sheetmetal to go back and fix. These hoods are thin and it doesnt take much heat for the sheetmetal to distort.

Yeh, that's why I've two hoods. The guy I bought the 48 off of said his Mom had opened the hood "wrong"?? Anyway, the side of the hood on the drivers side, right in front of where the hinge attaches has a big "dimple" (kink) !!!:eek: Upon closer inspection, after removing the hood, I noticed a small V shaped section removed(??) from the bottom edge right where the kink is located??:confused: How do ya figure??? Cass, alias littlemo...

I did a little boneyard shopping on the way home from work today. After watching Robert Horne's thread on using the Ranger 5 speed I'm convinced it will work so I got one of those and an 8.8 Explorer rear end with disc brakes and a 3:73 limited slip.

post-2128-13585368138266_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585368138506_thumb.jpg