1949 Moredoor

falconvan

Yea guess you guys still have use of weekends for cruising around. Its been suprisingly mild here with no snow ot speak of so I was out last week a time or two. But its just a matter of time till they start spreading the salt and whatever else they put down.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Im going back and doing some fine tuning and fixing some of the little things; it's getting better each trip down the road. I had a couple of small water leaks and re-bled the brakes. I think my brake pushrod is a bit short; I'll whip up another one this weekend. The cable for the hood release was sticking bad so i just cut a slot by the hood latch and welded a short rod on it so I can open it from the outside. The air cleaner and accelerator pedal came from an S-10 at the boneyard. I think my front shocks are too long; they're bottoming out. I'll order some new ones today. I'm also fabbing up a mount to put a late 80's Ranger blower motor in the stock heater blower housing so I can have a 12v blower; and I put on an old spotlight I had on the shelf. Getting a little closer each day.

post-2128-13585365481399_thumb.jpg

post-2128-1358536548176_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585365482046_thumb.jpg

post-2128-1358536548228_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OK, Im calling it done. I think all the mechanical bugs are about worked out; it's running and driving really nice. I got the bumpers on plus I ditched the rear gravel pan, tucked the bumper up close, and patched the holes where the old tail lights went. I made some cheap door panels and a rear seat cover and got the interior put back together.

post-2128-13585365747162_thumb.jpg

post-2128-1358536574739_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585365747596_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585365747879_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585365748081_thumb.jpg

The heater is in and I added blinkers. I probably will add an AM radio before baseball season so I can cruise and listen to the Cardinals. Thanks all for watching and your comments; it's time to put on some miles. :)

post-2128-13585365748288_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585365748583_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585365748838_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585365749093_thumb.jpg

Good job falcon.

You did enough to make it yours and didn't bust the bank. You can cruise that one for a while and likely make money on it when/if you decide to part ways with it.

Oh and from a long time Mets fan, THE CARDINALS ARE POND SCUM :D

Looks like the engine had been bored; .060 on the piston tops when I cleaned them off. Everything inside this thing was really clean. It doesn't look like it's been together very long. Got it all painted up and installed today. I decided on a non-standard color. It's Caterpillar Beige.

If it was bored .060 over.... it looks to me as if these can stand to be bored even more. How much can a 217 motor be bored?

I really like the simplicity of this build; just buy a cheap beater and make it roadworthy using whatever leftovers I had, some free stuff, and a few boneyard parts. I know it's ugly as hell and has too many doors but I think it'll be around for a good while.

You know! Projects like these are the most fun... Cheap and just quick fixes that don't need to pass for a show. I just read this whole thread (haven't been a member long) and boy it was exciting!!!! You are very motivated and have an array of skills for projects like these. Still have a couple posts to read gotta go!

Darren

Oh and from a long time Mets fan, THE CARDINALS ARE POND SCUM :D

Oh yeah! Just wait until September, we'll see who's still standing!:D

It sure won't be the Mets.

Made the trip from Joplin to St Louis several times back in the 80's when the Mets were in town. Always saw hundreds of "Mets are Pond Scum" t-shirts.

Having grown up in a family of diehard Cardinal fans (in fact my grandfather coached in the Cardinal's minor league system for several years) I was almost disowned when I became a Mets fan.

When my grandfather and I would go fishing we would go out on the lake and drift all night fishing for catfish and listening to the Cardinals games. I must admit I liked listening to Jack Buck and Mike Shannon call the games but for very different reasons. Jack Buck in my opinion was one of the best radio guys to call a baseball game. With Shannon it was allways "I'll bet you a frosty cold one" several times a game. You knew if it went to extra innings he was going to be snockered.

Oh well I have hijacked enough. Again great job on the moredoor.

Hah! Sometimes I think Mike Shannon is snockered before the first pitch. But he's still fun to listen to. That's pretty cool about your grandpa; I'll bet he had some great stories to tell.

In the spirit of good sportsmanship, good luck to your Mets this year.

OK, Im calling it done. I think all the mechanical bugs are about worked out; it's running and driving really nice. I got the bumpers on plus I ditched the rear gravel pan, tucked the bumper up close, and patched the holes where the old tail lights went. I made some cheap door panels and a rear seat cover and got the interior put back together.

Famous last words......seriously though, congrats. It was cool watching the changes & progress. Great job!

Famous last words......seriously though, congrats. It was cool watching the changes & progress. Great job!

Ok, I guess "done" is a relative term. Let's say done for this season. :D I really wanted a driver for the upcoming year so that's why I'm holding here. I plan on keeping this and maybe in the future using it to learn a few things I always wanted to try like converting to a two door and/or chopping a top. I'm looking at it as a blank canvas with a million possibilities.

Thanks! I'm glad you guys liked it! Now it's back to my 48 for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an interesting experience I thought might be useful: when I put the radiator back in I looked in one of my goodie boxes and pulled out a 16lb radiator cap that looked pretty good. After driving this a while I noticed my water pump was leaking. I swapped to a 7lb cap just to see if it helped and no more leak. I guess these older systems don't like the high pressure caps.