You Only Turn 40 Once...My Wife's New 34 Plymouth

BloodyKnuckles

Well, my lovely wife Heather turns 40 this month and I wanted to do something nice for her. Knowing that her Skylark "Gasser" wouldn't be done for her birthday and that our Model A is far from road ready I decided to let the "A" loose and pick up this little beaut.

The guy I bought it from bought it from was talked out of rat rodderizing it by a close friend and fellow Iron Lord. He owned it for a few years and never heard it run or was able to drive it.

I picked it up today and after about an hour being home I had it running and after adding some brake fluid we were driving it with the help of my 2 buddies Jimmy TuTone and Ron-AKA Senior-AKA Pops! Thanks guys.

The little sucker runs and drives pretty damn good.

On to the pics of her new 1934 Plymouth.

The happy, happy birthday girl and her new toy;

2011-08-09_11-50-24_19.jpg

2011-08-09_11-41-38_60.jpg

2011-08-09_11-41-04_844.jpg

2011-08-09_19-14-50_949.jpg

2011-08-09_19-14-09_906.jpg

2011-08-09_19-13-53_510.jpg

2011-08-09_19-13-40_142.jpg

We are not sure if we will modify this one.

Out of curiosity, If you owned it what would you do?

BloodyKnuckles

Drive it, Drive it, and then drive it some more. You must be living right that is a nice looking ride, and your wife looks like she likes it.

You got enough modified stuff, clean it up make it safe and enjoy it. Love the dashboard.

Love the car. Since you asked for opinions I will give it. As long as it is in good running condition and safe I would leave it stock. If it were a clunker I say do what ya want but it looks very nice and looks like it doesnt really need anything to drive it. Ultimately... Ask your wife what she wants reminding her that if you change it that will probably delay when she can start driving it. :rolleyes: See what she says then. :D

you're a lucky man!

super nice car and a beautiful wife!

like greg said, drive the wheels off of it until all your other projects

are done, then come back here for brain storming:cool:

how's the cambridge doing?

all the best from berlin!

fred

It's your money but I echo the suggestion you drive it rather than rod it since it seems to be in such good original condition and is such a rare find. But this hobby is so expensive it's hard to try to tell anyone what they should do. Either way is better than having the car collect dust somewhere under a tarp.

Nice looking car. I'd guess an older restoration or fix up as the paint and interior look redone but in the original style.

I can't tell from the photos if it is a PF, PFXX or PG. Care to tell if it has independent front suspension (PF or not) or PM the serial number from the passenger door post? That would fix the exact model number.

Not too many two door sedans of that era are seen any more, mind if I add one or more of your photos to my web site?

Drive it and keep it stock. Not many nice original/restored ones like that left. I cannot imagine making that car into a rat rod. I am glad someone talked the PO out of that idea. What a nice way to celebrate a 40th birthday.

WOW! The pilot house in the background looks great also. Got a picture of it?

Enjoy, you got something few have. I put one of the pictures on my screen saver. Thank you!

Edited by pflaming
Added a comment

I would not do anything that could not be reversed. Maybe a later 230 engine with dual carbs and dual exhaust and an early floor shifted overdrive and new shocks. I do not know if disc brakes and a tandem master cylinder would be required with the narrow tires. That way you could run 60 mph on secondary roads in comfort and not worry about ruining the original engine.

Thanks again guys. Heather appreciates the nice words.

IWe had our first failure today. After changing the oil but not the disposable canister filter I started the car and with the pressure of the new oil the canister burst at the seam. I have never seen this and it surprised me. I was planning on putting on a different type of oil filter but just not yet. I bypassed the filter for now and have the new one ready to go in. I just need new fittings.

Heather and I gave the Plymouth a bath today and cleaned up the interior. It cleaned up well.

BloodyKnuckles

My guess would be that this is a PG model where is has wire wheels, no door vent windows and no small door openings on the hood sides. I love the color combination. This car will get praised wherever it goes.

John R

There is an advertisment currently on the radio for Fram filters. The add claims that they pressure test there filters with enough pressure that they burst. They claim that this is more pressure than you will ever see on the highway (whatever that means as I know there is a lot of pressure on the highway). And because of this test you are supposed to buy Fram filters. Of course this made a believer out of me:rolleyes: What brand filter exploded on your Plymouth? If it is a Fram you could soon be a worth millions:D

I would not do anything that could not be reversed. Maybe a later 230 engine with dual carbs and dual exhaust and an early floor shifted overdrive and new shocks. I do not know if disc brakes and a tandem master cylinder would be required with the narrow tires. That way you could run 60 mph on secondary roads in comfort and not worry about ruining the original engine.

1933 and 34 have a narrower block than later cars so some mod is needed either to the starter motor or the bell housing to put a later engine in. And the shift lever is mounted on a frame cross member, not on the transmission. So doing the mods you suggest in a way that is reversible requires careful thought.

I run 60 mph on my original 33 engine with the original transmission and rear end, so it is not out of the question that his 34 could do the same. Since its not a PE, I'm pretty sure he has a taller rear end than I too.

My guess would be that this is a PG model where is has wire wheels, no door vent windows and no small door openings on the hood sides. I love the color combination. This car will get praised wherever it goes.

John R

The PF also had the wire wheels, no vent windows and no door openings in the side of the hood...

I like the color combination too. but then I've also got 33 two door sedan painted with a blue body and black "sheet metal". :)

There is an advertisment currently on the radio for Fram filters. The add claims that they pressure test there filters with enough pressure that they burst. They claim that this is more pressure than you will ever see on the highway (whatever that means as I know there is a lot of pressure on the highway). And because of this test you are supposed to buy Fram filters. Of course this made a believer out of me:rolleyes: What brand filter exploded on your Plymouth? If it is a Fram you could soon be a worth millions:D

I generally set the radio (on my new car) to the local jazz station. That keeps my pressure under control. All bets are off about my pressure if I set the radio to a talk station.

My first car was a 33 four door in a little darker blue with yellow wire wheels and I did not realize that the shift leaver was not mounted on the top of the transmission. Was the transmission a side loading transmission with shift arms on the outside of the transmission moved by rods or cables from the frame mounted shifter? I just assumed that you could install a later model engine and bell housing with a floor shifted pick up overdrive transmission with out cutting anything to do so.

Thanks again guys. Heather appreciates the nice words.

IWe had our first failure today. After changing the oil but not the disposable canister filter I started the car and with the pressure of the new oil the canister burst at the seam. I have never seen this and it surprised me.

Is there an oil pressure relief spring in the older style flathead sixes? If so, it may have gotten stuck and over-pressurized the canister.

My first car was a 33 four door in a little darker blue with yellow wire wheels and I did not realize that the shift leaver was not mounted on the top of the transmission. Was the transmission a side loading transmission with shift arms on the outside of the transmission moved by rods or cables from the frame mounted shifter? I just assumed that you could install a later model engine and bell housing with a floor shifted pick up overdrive transmission with out cutting anything to do so.

It is a top loading transmission. Just the lever is not mounted on the box. And when the boot that seals the gap between the frame and the transmission opening rots out and goes missing you can get water and other contaminants into the transmission.

Is there an oil pressure relief spring in the older style flathead sixes? If so, it may have gotten stuck and over-pressurized the canister.

Yes, all Plymouth of that era had oil pressure relief valves. By late 1933 the oil pressure relief had migrated to the left side of the block and had that oil filter shut-off feature that all the later L-6 engines have.

Congrats to your lovely wife on her "new" car. I agree it would be a crime to mess up this nice old ride. I don't know what is cooler. The Plymouth, the truck pulling it or the old Dodge in the back round. Thanks for sharing.