"Free" front end lowering idea

Malicious

So I assume I'm not the only one to have thought of this, so please let me know why this wont work BUT;

Could you lower the front end of a late 40's early 50's Mopar by simply flipping the uprights?

You would need to relocate the shock mount, I'm also not sure on the size differences between bushes, It would also be a fair sized drop but its seams like a fairly logical option.

Thoughts? I assume there is something I'm missing,

PS I haven't yet attacked my suspension, so this may be obviously completely unfeasible when you are staring at it, but from the limited pics I've seen it seams like a good idea

Cheers

Do you mean the bushing hole or the over all hole? While the hole holding the bushings looked different, I thought the final bolt size would be similar? Or do you mean width?

Just trying to think of a different way of getting a drop spindle. In australia you aren't allowed to run a welded upright in an form.

if you were to flip the ends..regardelss of mounting holes and bushings...you have clearance issues at the top, and I think you will find the lower A-arm scrubbing the dirt plus on top of that you have to address the shock mount..lowering spindles are sold in various degree of ride height for a reason..and man what an issue you would have with bumpsteer...nah..just not feasable..

Not to mention camber / caster angles as I'm sure the spindle does not come off the upright at 90degs. I cut 1 coil out but now I wish I moved the lower spring plate to the bottom of the control arm. I had my lower control arms "stepped" about 20 years ago on my 39 Plym. Only cost 175.00. Sure it is more now. I did have to make camber / caster adjustments after the coil was cut, but didn't when I had the lower control are stepped. FYI. Might not be enough camber adjustment available if the spring plate is lowered.

Edited by Adam H P15 D30

we have a couple of Aussie here and I am not sure if they have a solution to your end..Lowering spindles I see are not an option, that being said, odds are the placing the spring pocket is out also..and if welding is a problem on the frame in general..you have but one option to bolt the shock independently with forged units from a Dodge/Ford pickup..so if heating a coil or cutting a coil is not an option..looks like you may be out of luck profiling your vehicle..

hopefully the few chaps local to your frontier will chime in with choices...

Welding on the frame or arm would be an option, may need an engineer to sign off on but that's better then just no. From my understanding it's just the upright that's a no no.

Anyone have a pic of the sunken spring seat?

Stupid idea perhaps, but has anyone cut out an upright from scratch? Ie a sing piece of heavy gauge steel? A fair ol feat agreed, but I'm just trying to think out of the box. Is the mount hole for the king pin tapered? The top mount is a clamp and the bottom is threaded. Anything else pose a challenge? Sure anything can be done, but is it realistic?

Yeah that would be the best way but when the company selling them (fatman) advises that they arent road legal in Australia you kind of give up on it pretty quick!

I'm planing on registering it on a vintage car permit rather then full rego. So there maybe some leeway in the legalities. I'll have a look into it.

I still like the idea of lowered spring seat tho. It should be easy enough to make them safe and lower.

I am sure the road legal issue is just a disclaimer to alert the user in Australia to Australian laws on chassis mods (sure some are not aware) and that they cannot be responsible for you breaking the law and wanting a return after the fact you discover they may be questioned..Its like the off road and race stuff here in America..you can buy it all day long at your risk to fail EPA tests etc due to it not having met CARB specifications..do you know for a fact that these have even been tested for strength etc or just a default in the Australia law..sort of a paper chase you may say..

However..that leaves you again lacking...and flipping the spring support..is this going to be an acceptable mod..I would think not if the upright is questionable..this conversation would best be turned to the engineers in control of passing vehicle inspections as they are the ultimate sign-off on all ods..ask them what is acceptable uner the law and who is sanctioned to perform the mods in your area..somewhere I would think there is a legit business to conform with the engineering codes and the governing body should be aware and ready to recommend.

I'm planing on registering it on a vintage car permit rather then full rego. So there maybe some leeway in the legalities. I'll have a look into it.

Leigh, there's no leeway for 'special vehicle' (club) registrations - they all still have to pass roadworthy. You're probably best off contacting the ASRF and getting ideas from them before undertaking any major work as they seem to be the governing body here.

Desotodav

• 3 weeks later...

What you ask about (reversing the spindle supports) was a trick used by California customizers in the forties and fifties. The famous Hirohata Merc had this done, among others.

You have to swap the spindle supports from side to side, and bend them as well. You see there is a built in king pin inclination that must be reversed. If you do not do this your wheels will be very "knock kneed" looking.

Not the best idea, on the whole. There are easier and safer ways to lower a car.

What you ask about (reversing the spindle supports) was a trick used by California customizers in the forties and fifties. The famous Hirohata Merc had this done' date=' among others.

You have to swap the spindle supports from side to side, and bend them as well. You see there is a built in king pin inclination that must be reversed. If you do not do this your wheels will be very "knock kneed" looking.

Not the best idea, on the whole. There are easier and safer ways to lower a car.[/quote'] Rusty, good to here from you--I left the WPC forum as these guys here are more kind to guys like like me that do a few mods now and then. Stick around I know you have a lot to offer---did you ever finish the rebuild on your 265? Lee

Rusty, good to here from you--I left the WPC forum as these guys here are more kind to guys like like me that do a few mods now and then. Stick around I know you have a lot to offer---did you ever finish the rebuild on your 265? Lee

Have been busy the last year on some real estate deals, that will hopefully allow me more time to play with old cars. So, have not done anything with the 265. Still have the car and the parts, in fact bought some more motors and parts cars this summer.

Next step is to build a trailer, so I can clean up some junk around here and clean out the garage, so I can do some work this winter. The usual monkey business.

This looks like an interesting site, I see there are some smart people who hang around here. Maybe I can learn a few things.

PS Yesterday Saturday got a new toy. Stopped at a yard sale and bought a Norco balloon tire bicycle, then on the way home bought one of those Chinese Flying Horse putt putt motors. Have been putting it together and looking forward to some nice rides, so there is another toy or distraction. O well it's all in fun.

Edited by Rusty O'Toole

Not to mention camber / caster angles as I'm sure the spindle does not come off the upright at 90degs. I cut 1 coil out but now I wish I moved the lower spring plate to the bottom of the control arm. I had my lower control arms "stepped" about 20 years ago on my 39 Plym. Only cost 175.00. Sure it is more now. I did have to make camber / caster adjustments after the coil was cut, but didn't when I had the lower control are stepped. FYI. Might not be enough camber adjustment available if the spring plate is lowered.

Does anyone have a photo of this lowered spring plate? Sounds too easy may'be a photo would make more sense.

Does anyone have a photo of this lowered spring plate? Sounds too easy may'be a photo would make more sense.

I've done it but cant find the pictures I took. Easy job; I'll probably be doing it again on one of the cars I'm doing now so I'll try and get some pictures.

I've done it but cant find the pictures I took. Easy job; I'll probably be doing it again on one of the cars I'm doing now so I'll try and get some pictures.

Please let us know how far the spring plate lowers the car. I suggested it but never have done it. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don..that is a personal preference and while I think some go just to low with their approach, but then there is that word personal.. I personally like the slight rake on a business coupe...not all two door cars look the same...of course I also think there are correct and incorrect ways to do all this but again..my preference..

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have never understood why folks want to lower a car. What is the benefit? If you want to look cool then buy fuzzy dice and join the out croud. That is a lot less expensive and safer than a low job.

I have never understood why folks want to lower a car. What is the benefit? If you want to look cool then buy fuzzy dice and join the out croud. That is a lot less expensive and safer than a low job.

Don us old guy's out here on the left coast just remember the old days when lowering cars was the cool thing, guess you had to be born in California and live in the same town as where George Barris had his shop to appreciate it. Just reliving my second childhood........

Don us old guy's out here on the left coast just remember the old days when lowering cars was the cool thing, guess you had to be born in California and live in the same town as where George Barris had his shop to appreciate it. Just reliving my second childhood........

I am not saying dont do it. I am just saying it is not for me. Same thing with chopped tops. Some folks love them and some dont. Same with baby moon hub caps, red wall tires, etc, etc. It would be pretty boring if everyone liked the same thing. Then what could we complain about? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Lowering for me is has always been tied to handling.

A low wide stance with a stiff suspension gets you around the corners faster. 

I mean, somebody gots ta delivery dat shine. ^_^

48D