I got a second place trophy, the other guy came in next to last...

bamfordsgarage

I don't do many car shows, but did participate in the big 15th Annual Rock'N'August event near Edmonton this weekend. R'N'A is a four day festival of cruises, dances, eating etc. that features a big car show (500+ registered) along both banks of the scenic Sturgeon River in nearby St. Albert on Saturday from 10:00 to 16:00. The registration fee was a fairly steep $25 but the proceeds go to the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation so what the heck.

Five members of the Edmonton Antique Car Club were there and we all drove away with a trophy (yes, it's one of those shows). Judging is on Spit-N-Polish with no consideration of correctness/originality — most vehicles are newer, and rods or otherwise modified. Turns out there were only two registered in the "Mopar Pre-1949 Original or Restored" class and hey guess what I came in second! The other guy had cab-over Dodge sheet metal mounted on a newer chassis with modern running gear.

Pictures: Our five club members raising our trophies to the sky; Member Jim and his '38 Olds Coupe; Member Ted's '67 Monaco Ragtop which he bought almost new; Member Bert's '54 Buick; Member Ryan's '29 Model A Phaeton. Five more pix coming.

post-2848-13585362755944_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585362756363_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585362756726_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585362757045_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585362757411_thumb.jpg

More pix: The D25 got lots of attention, despite (or because of?) being dirtier than all the other cars combined; The signage helped people understand what the old tub is all about; This gal and her husband took the little side-window sign seriously; I wandered the show for about an hour and came back to find these two guys parked in front and telling everyone how great these old Dodges were; There were few other Mopars at the show, but this '56 Belevdere really caught my eye.

post-2848-13585362757861_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585362758263_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585362758693_thumb.jpg

post-2848-1358536275907_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585362759399_thumb.jpg

Tim, I am so glad you resisted that urge!

Rest easy John, that was not spilled beer. There was a heavy rain the night before and the ground was still kind of squishy — what you see on the fender is only ground water from the climb up to the roof.

I have never won a trophy at any car show that I have attended. Granted, I don't participate in many shows. When people ask me how I did at any show I have attended, I usu. tell them that I came in 5th w/ 4 in my class.

Chris, I am glad that you got a trophy, even if it was by default. It sounds like you still had a lot of positive interest and had a good time. My car tends to be invisible at car shows.

Congrats on the trophy. My last/first/only show, there were 4 cars in my class, original un-restored. 3 trophies and we got a particpant ribbon.:):):) Felt like High School fitness tests. Funny thing was, many people wanted to talk about their memories of cars like ours. Everybody has a story about an old Mopar.

... Everybody has a story about an old Mopar.

You got that right. I have several old cars and the Dodge, by far, prompts the most stories about similar cars in others' lives — my uncle had one, I learned to drive in one, my Grandpa had one like this, I got laid in one of these, my girlfriend's dad had one like this (maybe the last two were the same guy), etc.

Bob, we think alike on this. Anything we can do to get the next generation interested is worth a little extra wear and tear.

Charlie, we just screwed it to the roof at each corner. You can see the four period-correct Phillips head screws in the third photo, second batch. I had some reservations about this, but it is in keeping with the character and use of the car and whomever buys the old heap from my estate will have plenty of worse things to deal with if they are contemplating restoration.

Edited by bamfordsgarage