Wheel Swap

I just checked at Summit's web site. The same wheel in 16x7 from Wheel Vintuques was listed as $118.95. That's still pricey though!!! Mike

The wheels i have are 15" and i payed about $75/ each.

-Chris

I bit the bullet and went and got some stock 15x7 jeep wrangler wheels at the local tire shop for 20 buck a piece and threw some used 215/75/15s on it. These are not my forever wheels they are my right now wheels so I can move the truck around. The original wheels are rusted bad with some holes and will need to be completely redone.

Obviously the bolt pattern was the same and a they fit over the brake drums fine. The center bore was perfect, but because of the higher backspace the tie rod end rubbed on the inside of the front wheels. Just barley but it did rub. I picked up a couple of 5/16 spacers from Pep Boys, which bolted on fine. I was worried they wouldn’t mount right because of the rivets that hold the hub to the break drum. The spacer is made by White Knight and fit 4.5 up to 5 inch patters. The rivets landed in holes of their own, so it mounted flush. The lug bolts were plenty long enough to go through the spacers and wheels. That moved the wheels out enough so there is no rubbing. I can make full turns to both the left and right with no tire rub at all. The front center caps were too short to fit over the hubs, they were left off.

So for now that is what I have on it.

post-8364-13585371474842_thumb.jpg

post-8364-13585371475043_thumb.jpg

Those actually look fine on there. A set of full wheel covers and nobody would be any the wiser that they aren't vintage wheels. I'm still trying to track down some wire wheel simulator wheel covers for mine, 78 Ramcharger 4x4 rims, old I think Mercury "Landau" wheel cover on one. Can't find them anywhere so I'll be running a set of Lancer or Fiesta (both 50s models) covers.

I've got a full set of stockers and caps, just want something a bit a more visually interesting when it's back on the road for good. Being able to change the "feel" of the truck with a simple wheel/cap combo swap is a bonus.

• 6 years later...