square washers

Yea but that's not really the kind our trucks came with.

You know, we want the kind that scar the paint, snap, and break in half.

Hank :D

Mark, I do have a limited supply but then they are not new and they do fatigue easily.

Believe me if anyone loves original, it's me but in putting my truck together where possible I chose S.S. and in some places it just made sense to even use S.S. nylon lock nuts. My inner fenders (for nostalgia) and my floorboards are about the only place I used the square washers. Every now and then I hear a sharp ping or crack and I just know another floorboard washer bit the dust. I do want to re-do my floorboard fastening as there are squeaks that I'm pretty sure stem from where metal to metal is bolted together. I plan on using some sort of strip (maybe Bituthane) to be sure no metal to metal surfaces are involved. I'm not ever entering my truck in a show where every nut and bolt will be judged. I just don't want to loose parts along the way.

Hank :)

Mark, I've attached a picture of the 4 different washers used for you. They are actually called 'internal tooth periphery washers'. The best range that I could find were at this website http://www.wclco.com/Lock_Washers/Toothed_Lock_Washers/lw30.php , but they have a $100 minimum order so you might have to shop around. I have asked my fastener supplier over here if they have a source as they stock a range of unusual fasteners - I'll let you know if they come up with any info.

Desotodav

post-7583-13585362672664_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

sweet, gonna order up a mess of 'em, paint a bunch in both colors and go to town (in a few months)

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I'm cleaning up a heap of small pieces ready for zinc plating and this inquiry might save me some time and effort.

Hey Mark, did you order up any of these square washers?.... and if so, are they close to the original ones?

I ordered a few as well a few years ago, mainly for the 5/16" bolts on the body sheet metal. The only difference I found was that the I.D. was slightly larger on the replacements, so the teeth didn't contact the bolt shoulder. On the originals, these washers often were retained on the bolts with the bolt removed...in other words they could only be removed by force.

• Like 1

Hey Davin;

Hope all is well.

Fwiw.......I think the originals are very brittle. They may only have been intended to be used once ? Some lock washers and anti-vibration hardware of this period were made that way. The first aircraft nuts were made that way. Use once and replace. Not certain this was the case with these......but I got that impression when trying to reuse them. In the end I substituted newer components that I know will continue to do their job long after I am gone.

Of course it doesn't look right. ;) But since I don't take it to car shows that doesn't matter to me.

Jeff

• Like 1

yes, there aren't really meant to be reused, much less replated...technically NO lock washer is meant to be reused.

• Like 1

yes, there aren't really meant to be reused, much less replated...technically NO lock washer is meant to be reused.

Yep. With some of the better grades you can reuse for a few cycles but replacement is always safest. Even nylock nuts can work loose in some applications. It all depends on what thread patterns and fasteners were selected when the component was engineered and built. The Brits did exhaustive studies on this back in the 20's & 30's and came up with some very effective solutions. Unfortunately none of these solutions are in use today except on vintage machinery. British Standard Cycle thread actually works better on most commonly used size fasteners than the patterns in use today.......but it has been almost forgotten. :huh: Progress often takes some strange turns.

Jeff

Jeff

• 1 month later...

Yep and spot on

Mark, from which vendor above did you order the washers that were spot on from .. Mcmaster or Wclco?

Just stocking up on the bolts/nuts (mostly 18-8 Grade stainless steel) for fenders, grill, floor boards, Cab etc .., and of course these 'internal tooth periphery washers'

Phil