Opinions please

oldodge41

I bought new wheels and tires for my '41 Dodge. They are 6.70-15 and my old ones were 6.00-16 so I had to go with a new hubcap combo as well. I bought full moon hubcaps and painted the exposed part of the wheels red because there is a small amount of red on the trim of the car and the old caps had some red on them. 100_0747.jpg[/img]

I think they look too dark so I photoshopped the pic with the wheel painted white. I hate to paint but I think I like the white a lot better. What do you guys think? I wanted something that didn't make the Dodge's butt look big, but decided that was impossible.....Thanks, Tim

100_0747-1.jpg[/img]

Tim,

The white rims look almost like extremely narrow WWs and if you ever put any sort of WW tires on it I think it would draw the eye to the tires rather than the beautiful car. White also creates an illusion of a larger size which would emphasize the "big butt", which is just opposite of what you want. Red, being a darker color, de-emphasizes the bulbous rear. Greg suggested trying other colors, which I think you should do because you can, but with the full moons there's just enough color showing that it is complemented by the (relatively) large matching color of the tail lights and thereby gives the car a nice accent color.

Did I think about this too much?

-Randy

A thought on junk in the trunk. When we were in VT, a fellow asked me if my car was lowered in the rear. I said probably, as I had my traveling junk in there. Shade canopy,

tool box, some extra parts, a suitcase full of printed material, jacks, luggage, laptop, case o beer, cooler of food, piece of carpet cleaning supplies folding chairs, jumper pack, etc.

When I got home, I unloaded everythig but the chairs and the spare tire and jack. We went to a cruise in and went over some bumps, and I thought that the car was handling wierd. Maybe the bizzy coupe was designed to accomodat some weight back there.

By the way I like the tan, but as always, coming from a guy with purple wheels, suit yourself....

Red, I'd lower it an inch or 1&1/2 inches just in the rear which would bring the butt down........nice car either way.......andyd

Thanks for all the comments. Photoshopping the colors has been fun. I downloaded a free editor called Gimp and it works well. I like the yellow and tan more than I thought I would. The red keeps growing on me. Not a big deal, it is only paint. Probably change up the color now and then just for something different. I haven't got them balanced yet so I have to take them back off for awhile anyway. I agree Don the gold on your hubs looks much better than the red on your car.

I prefer contrasting rims on cars of our era (meaning our cars eras, not us ;)), versus rims that are a different hue of the body color. Our D24 is grey with bright red rims. Red looks good on yours, but I think yellow would look good, too.

Whatever color you use will have a tendency to pull out that color in the rest of the car. With the red wheel the tail light becomes more predominate. With the lighter colors, I think the chrome body strip comes out more. It's the same idea as matting a piece of art work. The color that is used for the matte will have a tendency to pull that color out of the picture and make it more dominate. If you have a picture of a land scape and you want to emphasize the trees, use green matte, the water, use blue. I think this design principle works the same for cars.

I like the red and think that a red pinstripe following the belt line chrome would make the car look sporty and help the eye travel down the length of the car ending at the tail light making the car look longer. There is a design principle that if you use a color in a design, it should be repeated someplace else in the design to create a sense of unity. Using this idea, the yellow and light blue look out if place unless you repeat these colors someplace else on the car.

Red, I'd lower it an inch or 1&1/2 inches just in the rear which would bring the butt down........nice car either way.......andyd

It's funny you would say to lower the rear an inch or so. When I replaced my rear diff. one of my goals was to bring the rear up an inch or so. It always looked like the springs were sagging to me before. My dad agrees with Andy. Different strokes for different folks...LOL

Whatever color you use will have a tendency to pull out that color in the rest of the car. With the red wheel the tail light becomes more predominate. With the lighter colors, I think the chrome body strip comes out more. It's the same idea as matting a piece of art work. The color that is used for the matte will have a tendency to pull that color out of the picture and make it more dominate. If you have a picture of a land scape and you want to emphasize the trees, use green matte, the water, use blue. I think this design principle works the same for cars.

I like the red and think that a red pinstripe following the belt line chrome would make the car look sporty and help the eye travel down the length of the car ending at the tail light making the car look longer. There is a design principle that if you use a color in a design, it should be repeated someplace else in the design to create a sense of unity. Using this idea, the yellow and light blue look out if place unless you repeat these colors someplace else on the car.

Thanks for the color tips. I am not very artistic at all. What you say about drawing out the color makes sense, at least to me. For the life of me I cannot think of how a pinstripe would be located on this car though.