1953 B-4-B-116 BUILD THREAD Spring Special

JBNeal

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

not much spectacular goings on with the Spring Special these days, it's down on the priority list after this that & the other.  I had cleaned the bed out when I got it, but it has slowly filled back up with some odds & ends.  The doors were sticking when I picked it up a couple of years ago, but this past year, they have been a real bear, with the passenger door mechanism not releasing since last summer.  A couple of months ago, I was able to pop it open on a particularly hot day, so I promptly began treatment with Marvel Mystery Oil on the door latches & hinges.  Today I was able to open the doors easily for the first time...small victories  :cool:

large.sm53SSpassdoor.jpg.ca911d404aef3f42251f624fba5e1f6f.jpg     large.53DODGEstuff.jpg.57231709af26bc75358eaeda133cb5c7.jpg

Edited by JBNeal
revised pictures

• 2 years later...

I would agree with ya except this particular relic is in rough shape in places, with some patchwork attempted on the fenders and no paint left on the tops of the cab & hood.  I cleaned this section of the truck to see how it would look, and the back of the cab cleaned up nice and smooth...if the rest of the truck was in that shape, I would just buff off the oxidation with the Scotch Brite pads and sport the original paint with the sparse dabbling of oxidizing.  But the light colored half of the door tells the real story, as the paint is really scratched up from I don't know what, it doesn't look like full blown crazing, kinda looks like it was hit with a scrub brush made of barbed wire.  The area around the upper hinge gets dramatically worse, that's why I could not buff that out very well.  And the lower half of the door looks to have been attacked in a strafing run with a can of Krylon.  As it was explained to me by an old auto paint dealer, auto paint quality varied along production lines so that some cars came out absolute gems and others had just enough paint on them to get them to the dealership.  IMO patina works only on the best of the best that came from the factory because there literally is more there with which to work.  The '48, '49, '51 and Spring Special I have all sport variations of paint completely gone from the top of the cab and hood, replaced with 80 grit oxidation.  By the time the surface is smoothed off, the shiny metal exposed would not stay shiny very long in the land of 70% relative humidity :cool:

You've seen my patina truck. After what I found on mine, I would rub down the driver's side front fender with scotch brite pads and lacquer thinner, an old used car lot trick, then follow that with a light sanding with wet/dry 600 grit sand paper and observe the results. Note my controversial patina pictures in the "Show your trucks" thread. That is how I cleaned up both times, pre and post fire.

Best wishes on your final decision, but once painted, the history is forever gone. That is what a professional photographer told me when I asked why he wanted to photograph mine. "Lots of great looking new paint trucks, rare to see a good patina truck. He took pictures of this truck. He said it would eventually be in a calendar.

• 9 months later...

Would like to know how many Spring Specials are out there.  I own three, and I know where there are two in Kansas.

Please call, text, or email.  Thank you.  Tom Anderson, Paonia CO, 970-986-1020, vikingminer49er@gmail.com

I think you need some more trucks to take care of!!!!!:D

There are a few Spring Specials around, some are bona fide and some are clones...

There is a pic on this forum that I have not been able to locate since the major website upgrade that shows what's left of a Spring Special in a ditch...but then I found it

dodgetrucktree_zps4ac1faf1.jpg

There is an early forum pic from a guest member...

I spotted one on eBay awhile back but could not get a response from the seller...another seller on eBay was a bit more responsive...

Forum member Boss Hog has a restored Spring Special that he has posted about when he rediscovered it, first startup, build progress and follow-up with finishing touches, and outing appearances here and there and around...

• 2 weeks later...

Bought the 53 DeSoto to transplant the Firedome into the 38 RC.  You are welcome to visit the hysterical Dodge collection. Admission is free. Please call before you come. I may be out gathering up more trucks. 

Tom Anderson, Paonia CO, 970-986-1020, vikingminer49er@gmail.com

3 minutes ago, Todd B said:

WOW, what a list.  What do you mean by RC Pickup?  WOW, what a list!!!!!!!!!!

RC would be the model code. My 46 is a WC W for 41-47 and C for 1/2 ton. Then for the Pilot house trucks they started over with B and slightly changed the number system.

Would love to show the photos, but I still haven't learned how to add them to the site.  Please help me resize my photos to fit the limits.

BTW. There is a semi-tractor available on the web at a consignment site in Cadillac MI, but can't get a response on it.  There's also a L1000 on the ATHS site in MD.  Either one could pull my 1973 Brown ex-Pepsi trailer full of Dodge parts.

12 minutes ago, vikingminer49er said:

Would love to show the photos, but I still haven't learned how to add them to the site.  Please help me resize my photos to fit the limits

They are automatically resized when you upload them. 

Keep getting error message when I try.  Says the limit is 3MB.  I know a few things about the trucks, but not so much about the computer

^^^^^^^^^Please buy some more vehicles!:D

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Next on my list will be a 1947 COE. Already made the deal, but waiting for the farmer to clear his stuff out of the way before I can get to it.  I'd post a photo but I don't know how.  Just remember that the older one gets, everything else gets older too.

• 2 months later...

large.smDataPlate82333467.jpg.e4d06efd5de6e93c7ae6269956de7650.jpg

large.smBodyPlate82333467.jpg.81c31dd7fd4b66661d286e258659d412.jpg

large.BuildCard82333467sm.jpg.0d02da71e6f9733acacd576b9dfd99c5.jpg

The cursory reading of this build card has yielded some interesting information.  The format of the build card appears to have changed mid-year 1951, and this format includes more optional equipment.  I have no idea where this truck was delivered as the destination is not recognizable.

The build date of August 19, 1953 was later in the model year than I originally estimated; the body numbers match as well as the engine number.  However, my engine appears to be spray painted ford blue, so I am guessing that it might have been rebuilt at some point.  I have not seen a rebuild tag on this block, but it might be located behind the starter and out of sight.

column 23 and 60:  color code 6 punched for each but I am unsure of what hue this should be or if this is the paint code for the two tone treatment
column 640:  code 1 punched as this truck has a factory rear bumper
column 641:  code 1 punched as this truck has factory front bumper guards

This truck does not appear to have any special equipment, powertrain upgrades, or interesting options other than being a long bed half ton Express model with that rare two-tone paint job...I'll have to do some more digging to find out more information on this truck  :cool:

Edited by JBNeal
revised pictures
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/2/2011 at 5:13 PM, John-T-53 said:

That is original maroon seat and door panel upholstery, unique to the '53 models. When you get it cleaned up a bit, snap some more pics so we can see the color come back to life. Does the truck still have the back panel and headliner cardboard?...

I had some time the other day to do some cleanup during decent weather to show off a few details.

The remnants of the back window and headliner panels appear to be the light grey as described in Bunn's Bible, to contrast with the door panel's maroon color.

large.sm20210204_163352.jpg.27c08f23b472183c34d6f9030fa8aec4.jpg

The paint break on the cab is kinda uneven...I reckon if these areas are gonna be covered with hood lacing and out of sight, then the guys in the paint shop just slapped some masking on as needed and moved onto the next job, something similar to what I saw on my '90 Ramcharger's 2-tone brown paint break inside the rear hatch.

large.sm20210204_165902.jpg.7ea76d20cc9700fe86461a9e151c965a.jpg

large.sm20210204_165931.jpg.f3f780a0fa1416b016af43f2cb2d0c7d.jpg

Edited by JBNeal
revised pictures
  • Like 1