The P15 is almost legal

Oldguy48

My P15 is scheduled for it's PA "Street Rod enhanced inspection" tomorrow, and provided all is well, I'll be able to drive it home legally. Temptation got the best of me yesterday afternoon, and I took it for a short drive of about 2 miles. It was on a rural road with no other traffic, so off we went. After nearly 5 years, I finally got to take that initial ride. It sure was sweet. Everything seemed to work well, and hopefully I can do a bit of cruising tomorrow. There is still more work to do (the interior isn't done), and need to re-install the stainless trim, etc., but that's OK. At least I will be able to finally drive the old girl.:D:D:D

post-1572-13585362539623_thumb.jpg

post-1572-13585362540356_thumb.jpg

post-1572-13585362540942_thumb.jpg

post-1572-13585362541467_thumb.jpg

post-1572-13585362542115_thumb.jpg

As I understand it, it's a regular PA state inspection, plus an examination of the frame, engine mounting etc. to ensure all is safe. Since it will be titled as a Street Rod, seat belts, emergency flashers, etc. are required and will need to be inspected annually. The choice of the driveline may annoy some folks on the forum though. It's a SBC, TH-350 transmission, and a rear from a 1969 Roadrunner. As I had posted quite some time ago, the engine was a Christmas gift from my family, and I had decided early on that I wanted the car to be an automatic. The engine has some mild performance upgrades, although I plan to drive the car gently. I'm really not into burn-outs, drag racing and that sort of thing. I've put too much work (and money) into the old girl to abuse her. I just want to enjoy cruising around and having a good time with my family and grandkids.:)

As I ...The choice of the driveline may annoy some folks on the forum though. It's a SBC, TH-350 transmission, and a rear from a 1969 Roadrunner. As I had posted quite some time ago, the engine was a Christmas gift from my .... family and grandkids.:)

Nice car. Sounds like a good set up, something you will be able to enjoy. Joel

Congratulations!

The car looks great; good luck with the inspection.

Are those digital gauges I see?

Did you fabricate them, or get them from a particular vendor?

Also, on the 350, are you using the stock mechanical fan for cooling, or an electric fan setup?

Very nice looking. No need to apologize for the drive trian - its your car! I prefer everything stock, but I can sure appreciate one of these beauties with a modern power plant in it. Probably don't have to worry about pissing everyone off on the freeway as they fly past at 90 MPH.

I bet this will be a ton of fun once you get t driving it.

What are those seats out of?

They came out of a 1995 Pontiac Bonneville that I had. The engine went bad, but the interior was pristine. The back seat had about 8 or 9 inches removed from the center, and upholstery re-installed. The bucket seats needed a platform built to raise them to the right height. I'm pleased with the way it turned out.

Congratulations!

The car looks great; good luck with the inspection.

Are those digital gauges I see?

Did you fabricate them, or get them from a particular vendor?

Also, on the 350, are you using the stock mechanical fan for cooling, or an electric fan setup?

The gauges are digital voltmeters that as luck would have it, fit perfectly in the instrument bezel. I need to build some circuitry so that they read out correctly, but I'm pretty sure I can do that. The car has an electric fan and shroud mated up to an aluminum radiator.