can you ID this radio?

richards47deluxe

Richard,

I can't identify it for you but I have one with the same plastic buttons that I bought at a junk yard that specializes in old cars and they had it listed for a P-15. A year or so later I bought another one at the same place with chrome buttons and they offered to give me some credit on the first one but I decided to keep them both for the sake of trying to make one good one from the two. Mine are the same size as each other and that makes a big difference from yours but their weren't many Motorolas (to my knowledge) with that face and button arrangement so I would have to think they're from the same few years. Somebody will chime in with the answer and I'd be interested because I've not seen any others with those plastic buttons.

-Randy

I believe radios like that were aftermarket items, perhaps sold by some

retail chains. As you may know, the "factory" radios for the P15, usually

installed by the dealer, had a 7" or so round speaker mounted behind the

grille in the center of the dash.

Typically, on aftermarkets, the part that mounted in the

dash with knobs and buttons was just a control head, with the actual works

being inside that firewall mounted speaker unit.

Don't know if this helps, but that's my observation from over the years.

Yes Bob nailed it. Its an aftermarket radio designed to fit 46-48 mopars. It may also fit 41-42.

I think it’s for the 40-41 models, but it will fit in the 46-48. The 41 radio has a bar in the dash piece that goes down between the dial and the buttons (see attached photo of a model 800). I don’t have a really good front on shot of my radio in the dash, but you can see it in the picture of my dash.

I have the dealer instructions for installing a radio in a 41, and they actually mention cutting this portion out with a hack saw to install a P-15 radio. Lee

post-309-13585362291067_thumb.jpg

post-309-13585362291279_thumb.jpg