Stupid Question: What's the width of a '50 Plymouth Rear Axle?

addicted2dunes

When looking for rear axle replacement for a '50 Plymouth, need to match up best possible the spring width (distance from left and right) and the center line tire distance, left to right. '50 plymouth should be 31-5/8 for the springs and 58-7/16 for tires. Spring perch width not so important, as new perches can be welded to new replacement axle to fit '50 Plymouth spring width...key thing to look for is tire spread, and at 58.5" tire spread, center of tire to center of tire (est), a rear end from a 76-80 F body Chrysler car (Volare or Aspen) or 77-89 M-Body (Diplomat, 5th Ave.); or 80-83 J-Body (miranda, cordoba) should slip in pretty nicely. Will need to modify drive shaft, likely. These rear ends will give you rear end ratios of 2.23 to 2.94, depending on the rear end. Can send more details from article on this topic in The P15-P25 Driver restoration magazine from '02, now out of print. Will need mailing address.

• Like 1

Can send more details from article on this topic in The P15-P25 Driver restoration magazine from '02, now out of print. Will need mailing address.

No help on the axle but I remember that magazine have most maybe all issues it was a very informative publication.:)

When looking for rear axle replacement for a '50 Plymouth, need to match up best possible the spring width (distance from left and right) and the center line tire distance, left to right. '50 plymouth should be 31-5/8 for the springs and 58-7/16 for tires. Spring perch width not so important, as new perches can be welded to new replacement axle to fit '50 Plymouth spring width...key thing to look for is tire spread, and at 58.5" tire spread, center of tire to center of tire (est), a rear end from a 76-80 F body Chrysler car (Volare or Aspen) or 77-89 M-Body (Diplomat, 5th Ave.); or 80-83 J-Body (miranda, cordoba) should slip in pretty nicely. Will need to modify drive shaft, likely. These rear ends will give you rear end ratios of 2.23 to 2.94, depending on the rear end. Can send more details from article on this topic in The P15-P25 Driver restoration magazine from '02, now out of print. Will need mailing address.

So the wms to wms is 58 7/16"? I'm not worried about the spring perches as I am linking and air bagging my Plymouth. I am looking at a '94 Ranger 8.8" rear axle which from what I found out is 58 3/4" wide, so it should fit perfect then.

• 6 years later...

Jim  I realize this is an old topic so if you don't see it I understand. 

I'm looking to replace the rear in my 48 Plymouth and can't seem to find measurements to compare to. 

Is the 50 the same as a 48 

Without going out to measure, I can tell you this.  37 to 48 are the widest.    50 to 56 are the same, narrower than 37 to 48.    49 stands alone. narrowest of them all.