47 Dodge Turkey Truck Build

On 3/10/2021 at 8:46 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

pitman arm shaft protrudes from the bottom....it is the splined shaft....seal should be pressed in...

Ya nothing of the sort. There is a bushing at each end but no seals other than cork between case and frame

1 minute ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

was not aware the trucks were so much different from the car steering sector....one day I gotta get a truck book to look through.......lol

I tried that too... My book shows what looks very similar to what I have but it's labeled for the bigger trucks. No diagram for the pickups.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

Is the pitman shaft horizontal on your truck? I remember that the steering setup was considerably different on the earlier trucks, but I don’t recall exactly how it is. 

Yes the box bolts to the inside of the frame and the pitman goes through to the outside where the arm and draglink are

I have reached out to VPW several times to verify part numbers with what they have available, also to ask if they had any suggestions on possible alternate vendors when parts were unavailable...they have been knowledgeable and helpful in pointing me in the right direction ?

19 minutes ago, Jerry Roberts said:

Might or might not help . This photo is for a 1940 Plymouth truck , should be the same for 1941 and probably later Dodge . 

IMG_0028.jpg

What does it show for #40 and 41? The one I took apart just had a thick cork ring there so I may be missing a piece? Otherwise that appears to match what I have. I also am wondering now how I orient the steering gears together to get the steering wheel centered and the pitman arm correct. Is there a trick to it?

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

I also am wondering now how I orient the steering gears together to get the steering wheel centered and the pitman arm correct.

My steering shaft didn't have a blind spline up top so the steering wheel could be put on in any position . You just need to put things together loosely to get the pitman arm correct and then try it out and change things as needed . It helps to count rotations and center things that way . If you need any more photos let me know . 

IMG_4862.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Steering shaft is still apart. Got distracted by the tailgate. Welded up some cracks, found and custom fit bushings for the hinge, and then installed it. I still need to find shorter bolts or cutoff all the long ones that hold the latch plates on. 

Also scored a matching wheel for a spare at mopars in the park swap meet. 

IMG_20210524_204757_01.jpg

IMG_20210524_174326.jpg

IMG_20210606_204612.jpg

IMG_20210604_115309_01.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mattex said:

My acquaintance told me that the Bilstein shocks absorber is designed to manage tough terrain and harsh bumps while also boosting your car's handling. He also me to get a set for my truck. What are your thoughts on his suggestion?

For a stock or close to stock truck I'd say complete overkill. And what tough terrain do you plan to encounter? 

I bought mine ... I think are monroe ? from Rock Auto.  I figure now I have bigger fish to fry then shocks .... When I get down to tuning shocks ... I kinda doubt bilstien is where I would go, unless was going crazy suspension.

I kinda like the old school shocks with the springs on them ... Today they use them on custom race car suspension ... I like the old ones that just gave you a bit more load capacity.

a 109.jpg

• 3 months later...

Been a slow summer for work on the truck. Haven't really touched it since I got the tailgate installed. I did buy a set of running board mounts back in July and ordered a serial tag last month. Today I made a trip to upull and grabbed parts to convert my Cherokee diff to disk brakes. The actual brake parts were junk(except maybe the calipers but I can get new for not much more $). Also grabbed a spare tire carrier off the liberty that might work well on the side of a truck bed. Haven't verified but according to Google the liberty has our same 5x4.5 bolt pattern. 

IMG_20211007_174123.jpg

IMG_20211007_151737.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

Long process but my tag came today. Looks too good for the truck it's going on! 

edited_5322386d-08a9-4b09-a5c1-b81957428

Was that from the guy in Poland (hornedataplates)?

I'm waiting for one from him right now.

9 minutes ago, billrigsby said:

Was that from the guy in Poland (hornedataplates)?

I'm waiting for one from him right now.

Yes on Poland. This was from dataplates4u. 

Edit: says the Netherlands actually

Edited by Young Ed
Add

2 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Yes on Poland. This was from dataplates4u. 

Edit: says the Netherlands actually

Okay thanks, I hope mine looks that good.

And I think @ggdad1951 ordered some data tags for accessories from Poland.

• 3 months later...

Today is one of those necessary but boring updates. Spent an hour at the license center but applied for titles for the 47 and 40 trucks. Will find out in 2ish months if there are more hoops are they are legally mine. And only in MN do you get charged a fee for late title transfer on a vehicle that doesn't even have a title in the first place!

edited_39e0e872-8737-4d5c-8032-fd9c181fc