voltage drop and wont start

wreckermk36

so first of all, i have a 52 dodge truck b3b, with the original 218 and 3 on the tree. resently i did the conversion from 6v to 12v. i changed the battery to neg. ground, the ignition coil with an exsternal resister, a delco 10 si alternator and got new voltage gauge cause i blew the old one. after doing everything truck starts right up. it started maybe 10 times after the switch. but know when i turn the key the voltage gauge says 12v, when i push the button to turn the engine the volage drops to almost nothing. wft? could i have alread y blown the 6v starter? or maybe the distibitor? i dont know. all help would be greatfully apperiated.

man i wish this thing had spell check.

There is a spell check. Look for the ABC with a check mark in the upper right corner of the message box.

I suspect that your battery had failed. Is it new? I've seen batteries fail like that. They'll show 12 volts with no load but as soon as a load is applied they drop to 0v. It's usually due to a bad connection between the cells.

Merle

got new voltage gauge cause i blew the old one.

If the "old one" was a voltage gauge it was not "the old one".

Your truck originally had an amp gauge not a voltage gauge. This amp gauge differs from a volt gauge as it shows current flow and not voltage.

If you connected your new volt gauge the same way as the original amp gauge was connected this may be your problem.

A volt gauge shows voltage to ground not current flow. Need more information to assist you in solving this problem.