Interior product that lasts.

Todd B

When I did my semi interior 9 years ago I bought an interior kit from I think Roberts. Having it out in high humitidy days the panels warped realy bad and it looks like crap. Is there a better product that will last? I am not hung up on looking original.

Any info appreciated.

Todd B

Look and see if quiteride makes an ABS kit for your trucks. They make one for the 39-47 trucks that those guys swear by. Personally I haven't tried it yet but when I decide to finally get a headliner that's where I'm buying it from.

I live in California not far from the ocean, but nevertheless the humidity factor is far from what I'd expect in the Pacific Northwest or the East Coast. I do share your observation and learned it was much better to install (especially the door panels) on a rainy or very humid day. ABS or some type of plastic would be far better than cardboard. Not sure if there's a way to use some spray waterproofing on the back of the cardboard to minimize the warpage. I love the look of my Robert's kit and it's holding up well in my environment, but I know where you are coming from.

Hank :)

Yes, the Quiet Ride interiors are very good. I also found that they are awesome people to work with if something isn't quite right. The ABS panels come black but can be painted to what ever color you wish. It won't be cheap but it'll hold up quite well.

http://www.quietride.com/catalogpdfs/dodge_truck_catalog.pdf

P3150967.jpg

P5021020.jpg

I found my reciept and it was Roberts. I will check into queit ride. Thanks for the help. I am taking my truck to Iola and am ashamed of the inside.

Merle - the door panels you have are just ABS with no vinyl cover over them?

I'm thinking of making standard cardboard panels and then having them upholstered. Also trying to figure out how to put a real headliner in with bows as I don't like the original panel setup.

Yes, the Quiet Ride interiors are very good. I also found that they are awesome people to work with if something isn't quite right. The ABS panels come black but can be painted to what ever color you wish. It won't be cheap but it'll hold up quite well.

http://www.quietride.com/catalogpdfs/dodge_truck_catalog.pdf

P3150967.jpg

]

Hey Merle what seat belts are those and what did you have to do to reinforce the cab wall for support?

Merle, I ordered the interior panels from quiet ride. I decided to not go with there insulation product. I believe I can insulate it much cheaper. Besides I am not looking for an old truck that is "Queit" . Part of the nostalga is running with the windows open and yelling over the engine screaming at you.

When ordering I mentioned how I heard of the product and I mentioned Merles name. She said "oh do you mean Merle Coggins". You are famous even on the west coast.

They are going to try and get it here soon, so I can replace it before the Iola car show. This year Iola is featuring Dodges and they put me in the feature area.

Thanks again for every ones help.

Todd B

That's funny Todd. Yea, I worked with her quite a bit when I got my panels. Apparently I was the first one to actually order them from their catalog. They got the patterns from someone but never actually tested them. It all fit well, but there were a few mystery pieces in the kit. We eventually identified 2 of them as the corner pieces for cabs without corner glass, but the other ones never were identified. I see they aren't shown in their catalog now. Also, the door panels in the kit were for 51-53 doors. They offered to make the proper ones, for 48-50 doors, if I sent them my original panels. They didn't charge me for the new door panels and then added them to their catalog. Like I said, good people.

Merle

Did all my panels in 1/8" oak veneer/paneling...I love the way it looks and it should last as long as I'll be around if it's kept up. I don't have a back window wrap around, but I easily could if I used real thin veneer (sp)

Did all my panels in 1/8" oak veneer/paneling...I love the way it looks and it should last as long as I'll be around if it's kept up. I don't have a back window wrap around, but I easily could if I used real thin veneer (sp)

Have any pictures of this? I'd love to see what it looks like.

Bryan

Could you please tell me how you installed the seat belts. I have the Julianos kit as well, but unfortunately I did not have the foresight to have some form of bracketry welded into the cab at the "B" pillar. If you have your installation documented or if it's not too much trouble could you pleas share a few photos and describe the installation.

Thanks,

Hank

I made these interior parts after having the Roberts kit get all warped in only one year. I made these in about 1994 for another truck(The Gray Mare) and then transfered them to Old Yeller in about 1997 when I sold The Gray Mare. They have held up very well. I extended the door panels down more to cover more of the door for sound deadening. The corner rubber in Old Yeller is so hard though that I was not able to tuck the pieces behind the rubber. One of these days I'll replace that rubber and tuck it in.

MVC-011F.jpg

I hired an upholsterer to stitch around the edges and install the piping around the door panels.

I sell the patterns for everything except the seat if anyone is interested.

OldYellersinterior.jpg

Could you please tell me how you installed the seat belts. I have the Julianos kit as well, but unfortunately I did not have the foresight to have some form of bracketry welded into the cab at the "B" pillar. If you have your installation documented or if it's not too much trouble could you pleas share a few photos and describe the installation.

Thanks,

Hank

Here you go Hank

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=19822&highlight=Seat+Belts

I am very satisfied with the Quiet Ride ABS kit. I had mine prepainted and the color (gray) was right on. Great personal service too. I had purchased a cardboard kit from Roberts years earlier. It did not fit.

• 3 months later...

If you ever pull a door apart in a junkyard you will find inside the upholstery panel a sheet of thick plastic glued to the door with calking. This is to seal out any dampness from the interior. Even though todays cars have plastic door panels.

Water always enters the door by running down the window. It should drain out the bottom but it makes the inside of the door wet. They have been sealing the doors with plastic since the mid fifties.

So, if you upholster your own vehicle do not forget to seal the door with plastic before you stick the panel on.

I ordered a Quiet ride ABS panel set. On the headliner, the sides were sown on backwards. we had to cut it and fabricate the headliner in my shop. I also installed the door panels which after I went on site to contact them about the headliner I noticed that they sent me the wrong year door panels.

I called on monday and the lady who answers the phone handled eveything very professional. I asked for new door panels and just made them aware of the person who sown it together had it backwards. I thought everything was fine until the next day when the owner called me and said she would not send me the door panels until I send her the old ones first. I explained I already had them drilled out and installed. I would send them mine once I received the correct ones. It was in the heart of the show season and I did not want to leave my truck without door panels. It was like I started a war with this lady. Her story made a complete 180 degree turn from the quality control to suddenly someone else sows the head liners together. I do believe they have a good product, ok accuracy, great receptionist, terrible customer service.

You can hold 2 pieces together and they are not the same, the sowing job is very poor. Although the final product looks nice.

Also be very careful with how you clean them, Goof Off is dedinetely not an option.

• 1 month later...

I'm still happy with mine. My wallet took a beating, but I got the whole deal. There were a few little glitches during install, but they were helpfull and open to feedback since I seemed to be the first to order and install the kit since they added it to their catalog.

Merle.