Tail Light Gaskets, 1947 Plymouth Sedan

richards47deluxe

If it makes you feel better you are not the first. I also cracked my blue dot lens attempting to install a Steel gasket several years back. I bought the gaskets several months before I tried to install them. So when I contacted Steel to tell them about the problem they told me I should have contacted them straight forward. I got no satisfaction from them. I did get satisfaction from forum member Robin in England as he sent me a replacement lens. I have sence replaced my tail lights with Technostolgia LED fixtures. The steel gaskets are too hard, too thick, and do not work.

crap.jpg

It's been so long ago, I just can't remember where I bought my taillight gaskets (I know it wasn't Steele), but when I installed them, there is a gap between the fender and the taillight bezel even though I snugged them down quite a bit. I was afraid I'd break the lens if I tightened them down any more. Maybe the gasket will squash down after a while, and I can minimize the gap. It's not noticeable unless you look close, but I expected the bezel to fit tight against the fender.

Do you have an original gasket to make a copy of? Dave Kruse makes a number of rubber gaskets and seals for Plymouths and other cars. If you send him one from your car he can reproduce it. He did that for me and he also did some for the fellow that is doing the vedio thing on his 41 coupe in California. You can contact Dave at krusn64@aol.com and 626-358-3274. If the part is not right, he will do the right thing to make it work.

open to all ideas and need reflectors. thanks

For reflectors I found some bicycle reflectors that were a bit larger than the originals but they worked as pictured. I used blue reflectors as they matched my car color. The same sized ones were available in red too.

bluref.jpg

led1-1.jpg

Richard,

I had a similar problem with the Steele Gaskets and trimmed off the edge rubber to make at least one work properly. The problem I think I have with my driver’s side rear glass is the fact that back in the day body work was done to that side of the car which may have changed the dimension between the glass and the body. In my opinion a very poor design. I will replace the glass by making a rubber seal like you previously suggested using soft weather stripping.

Good luck, Chet…