49 sd 1st series

thomas d

to my knowledge there is no registry for these cars..other than a volunteer status by members of a club and keep in mind not everyone joins clubs..the count would be impossible I think as the states or registars of other countries about the world would not share that information to just anyone...

they say 10% of a cars original production number will remain. that however will deopend on many factors such as desirability of that car in the first place and other factors. the 49 you ask about i would say is probably 5% or less of the original production number. my 54 windsor convertible had a run of 500, and i think there are maybe 25 of them left. just a guess, but it was never that collectible. capt den

I saw a P15 in a museum in Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil 25 years ago, and I believe it was a Brazilian built car. I heard once, but have never had it confirmed for sure, that after production stopped here in the US the stamping dies were sent to Brazil, where cars continued to be manufactured with the same design.

So although I know that this is an entirely different issue, there may actually be P15s that were built into the early 50's, in Brazil and/or in Argentina.

A non-Mopar case of this that I do know for sure about is the Willys 'carry-all'. I don't remember when production stopped here, but they kept on building them in Brazil until eventually Ford of Brazil bought them out there, and then continued to build the identical vehicle as Fords at least until the 70's, being marketed as the "Rural" (pronounced somewhat like "hoot-owl", but having the same meaning as the English word with the same spelling).

Neto

I saw a P15 in a museum in Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil 25 years ago, and I believe it was a Brazilian built car. I heard once, but have never had it confirmed for sure, that after production stopped here in the US the stamping dies were sent to Brazil, where cars continued to be manufactured with the same design.

So although I know that this is an entirely different issue, there may actually be P15s that were built into the early 50's, in Brazil and/or in Argentina.

A non-Mopar case of this that I do know for sure about is the Willys 'carry-all'. I don't remember when production stopped here, but they kept on building them in Brazil until eventually Ford of Brazil bought them out there, and then continued to build the identical vehicle as Fords at least until the 70's, being marketed as the "Rural" (pronounced somewhat like "hoot-owl", but having the same meaning as the English word with the same spelling).

Neto

No, Chrysler did not send any tools and dies to Brazil for the P15. Chrysler did not own a plant in Brazil until the 1960`s. The was a distributor there but that would have been a basic assembly operation of exported CKD units - no body building facilities. Chrysler had plant in Venezuela and Argentina, but both were assembly plants with no body building facilities.

The first time Chrysler shipped tooling for cars to another country was the Simca Vedette to Brazil in 1963, Ford flathead V8 and all. Later in the 1960`s A body tooling appeared in a number of South American countries.

Kaiser-Willys sent Kaiser tooling to Argentina and the Willys Aero and Wagon to Brazil after they were finished with the vehicles in North America.

The Australian 1957-63 Chrysler Royal with its 1953 styling was also not based on tooling sent from the U.S. but on tooling done in Australia for bodies for the Australian market.

Bill, the Oz 57-63 Chrysler Royal was the bastard son of a 1954 Plymouth body mated with 1955 Plymouth front & rear fenders with 56 plymouth tailights. for the 57/58 AP1 version........The Royals uncle the 57/58 DeSoto got in the mating act and the final version, the 1961-63 AP3 Royal ended up with DeSoto style triple taillights........The Australian Chrysler Royal........the only car with 3 fathers and 2 mothers..........lol..........andyd

Bill, the Oz 57-63 Chrysler Royal was the bastard son of a 1954 Plymouth body mated with 1955 Plymouth front & rear fenders with 56 plymouth tailights. for the 57/58 AP1 version........The Royals uncle the 57/58 DeSoto got in the mating act and the final version, the 1961-63 AP3 Royal ended up with DeSoto style triple taillights........The Australian Chrysler Royal........the only car with 3 fathers and 2 mothers..........lol..........andyd

That it was. But all tooling was Australian and not American.

Interesting how well the 1955-56 fenders fit the 1953-54 body!