disk brakes conversion?

47chrysler

looking to put new disk brakes on my 47. Where do I go too find a conversion kit? allso a Power master cylinder? Maybe power rack steering? The motor is out of car so now is the time to make it better. Thanks Gary:)

Use the search function on the tool bar above. You will find many threads on these subjects and many options.

Disc Brake kit from Charlie here on the forum (Olddaddy)

http://www.rustyhope.com/mopardiscbrakes.html

Kit install on a D24:

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=27380

Thread on Rack and Pinion design and install:

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=25793

Good luck on your project!!

PatS put the link to my install of the Olddaddy's kit. It was extremely easy, the parts weren't very expensive. I'm going to be putting a manual remote reservoir Master on in the next moth or so and plumbing my brakes so I'll update my thread.

• 2 weeks later...
IMHO I like Scarebird Classic Brakes. Scarebird doesn't require you to have to drill and tap any holes and they use Mopar calipers and rotors. OldDaddy's uses GM calipers, not sure what he uses for rotors though.

http://www.scarebird.com/

Personally I much prefer the Olddaddy kit...Charlie will tap the threads for a small charge. The kit is simple and easy but more importantly, the customer service cannot be beat.

Charlie is a Mopar guy big time as well.

Oh, the kit calls for...gasp...Volare rotors:eek:

• 4 months later...
looking to put new disk brakes on my 47. Where do I go too find a conversion kit? allso a Power master cylinder? Maybe power rack steering? The motor is out of car so now is the time to make it better. Thanks Gary:)

Well we manufacture a new Pedal kit that bolts into the stock location and uses a dual diaphram booster and dual master cyl under the floor. However it is for automatic trans cars only, no provisions for clutch pedal. We also sell the Fatman's Power Rack steering kits. Have installed several and they work very well. We offer the all new aluminum hub disc kit from ECI and it's a complete package. A little expensive, but it's the best! Thanks, Butch

• 1 year later...

I'm looking to do a disc brake conversion on my 47 Plymouth Coupe. I have access to a CnC plasma cutter and a guy who's willing to cut any brackets for me. We have made a set of upper shock re-location brackets. I hate to ask to rip off someone elses ideas but I really cant afford the 200.00 for the brackets and what not. I've been using the search function here for the last few weeks and I can't decide the best design to use. I was thinking about deciding the best hardware to use, then useing 3/8 plywood to mock up a disc brake bracket. Doe anyone have any suggestions on where I can get a patern for the bracket, or at least a hardware list to use? I'm not looking to make any money off this just get my car straightened out on my budget!

It's your car and you can do whatever you want with it, but from what I read in your post you have no idea what goes into making a disc brake setup that will work and stop the car safely. You don't want to rip anyone off, just shortcut the years of time and effort they put into a good reliable and well designed kit, using plywood for patterns, really? Who will draw the patterns for the plasma cutter? Do you have autocad ability down to 4 decimal places of accuracy? How will you make the spacers to position the rotor? What bearings will you use to fit the spindle and the spacer? What grease seal will you fit to the spindle and the rotor? What caliper will you adapt to the bracket, and what hoses? You will spend spend $600 to save $175 on a kit that I make less than $50 for each sale, after nearly 40 years building Mopar hotrods. The info on my kit is all over the internet and you can get a copy of the parts list without too much trouble. And if you can't afford the kit how will you afford the parts to do the conversion? Even with that you will be hours, days, and weeks away from a workable kit and what you end up cobbling together might get you or someone else killed.

• Like 2

Im using these with a 2000 Ford explorer caliper and rotor; sliding the Explorer rotor over the Plymouth hub after I removed the drum. I had them cut from 3/8" plate. Another member came up with this swap and had good luck with it.

post-2128-13585372405748_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
It's your car and you can do whatever you want with it, but from what I read in your post you have no idea what goes into making a disc brake setup that will work and stop the car safely. You don't want to rip anyone off, just shortcut the years of time and effort they put into a good reliable and well designed kit, using plywood for patterns, really? Who will draw the patterns for the plasma cutter? Do you have autocad ability down to 4 decimal places of accuracy? How will you make the spacers to position the rotor? What bearings will you use to fit the spindle and the spacer? What grease seal will you fit to the spindle and the rotor? What caliper will you adapt to the bracket, and what hoses? You will spend spend $600 to save $175 on a kit that I make less than $50 for each sale, after nearly 40 years building Mopar hotrods. The info on my kit is all over the internet and you can get a copy of the parts list without too much trouble. And if you can't afford the kit how will you afford the parts to do the conversion? Even with that you will be hours, days, and weeks away from a workable kit and what you end up cobbling together might get you or someone else killed.

Correct it is my car! However, I do have a very good idea what does go into the engineering of a caliper bracket. Not I don't know cad well enough to draw it my self but he gentleman who was going to cut it for me however did.

I'm not an idiot, I work in the automotive industry and work within "4 decimal places" every day of my life! I wound up using the explorer conversion patern that another member developed and was cool enough to share. I looked at your kit and would have probably bought it a year or so ago if I could have afforded it. So far by choosing my parts and the place I purchase them carefully I have managed to find the steel to cut my brackets (by hand at work) for 50$ then I sold the remaining chunk to my buddy for a project he has for 25$. I bought my rotors, bracket bolts, loaded calipers and hoses from rockauto.com for a grand total of 115$ plus another 16$ in bolts from Fastenal. So by my math I have all the parts I needed for less than the cost of your brackets, and I didn't have to machine my hubs or drill out my steering arms like some of the other kits. In all actuality I could have litteraly done the whole install in about 3 hours. Trust me it didn't go down with out a hitch but I will never put the car on the road if I'm not 100% satisfied with the safety.

Please don't mistake me I don't have any personal problem with you or your kit. In fact quite the opposite I have recomended your kit to several people on the HAMB (I actually think its quite reasonably priced for a kit). I didn't want to stir the pot but some of us really need to keep the word "budget" in budget build. I realize you've put your heart and soul into your work, but you don't need to sell me short or talk me down! I guess you probably do have to deal with alot of people who don't know their *** from a hole in the ground and maybe thats the reason for the animousity!

Sorry for the rant!

• Like 1

Sorry, all; I did not mean to start a war over this by sharing that bracket sketch. I've also got many years building cars and doing heavy commercial maintenance in high rise buildings where we build a lot of what we need; especially on older buildings. I won an engineering professional of the year award in my division for the largest commercial real estate management firm in the world if that means anything. If the Explorer setup was some cobbled together piece of crap, I wouldn't have put it on my car or said anything about it on here. Old Daddy's kit is a great setup but like most products; there are alternatives. The guy that came up with the Explorer kit used all factory parts from either the Explorer or the Plymouth; other than the bracket. You've got the Explorer caliper, caliper bracket, hoses, rotor, and the Plymouth hub which uses the stock Plymouth bearings and seals. With a 1/2" steel plate bracket to mount the caliper to the spindle, I just dont see a weak link here. A hydraulic disc brake is not some high tech piece of rocket science; they've been around in the same basic form for 40+ years. I dont know the guy's background but he came up with a good idea using OEM parts, made it work, and put it out there for other guys to use if they wanted. If he wanted to package the kit and sell it, he probably could. And chances are good that somewhere down the line someone else will come up with another setup that works well that uses different parts. No need to get bent out of shape about this.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I have a 1947 Plymouth special deluxe has anyone done a master cylinder swap from the frame to the fire wall i have added disc brakes all around fat man mustang 2 stage 3 along with a for nine inch also putting in a 350 sbc with a t5 if anyone has tips on kits for that too . 

This may not help those that have the tools, equipment and skills to build their own disc brake setup, but if you're like me and you want a proven design, no fabrication required and service after the sale, I strongly recommend Olddaddy's kit.  I had some trouble during installation on a 55 C-3-B, and old daddy (Charlie) actually talked to me on the phone, worked with me to get the correct parts, and followed up to make sure I got everything installed correctly.  I'm not bashing anybody else's kits, but for service after the sale, Charlie can't be beat.

Edited by William Davey
  • Like 3