possible virus threat?? OT

John Reddie

Recently, I received an email in my spam folder. I get emails sometimes like this that are genuine so I like to check them. This one said that a Fed-ex parcel was to be delivered to me and to click for tracking info. I did and a warning popped up claiming a potential virus was present. I quickly deleted this but received another email again today which was similar and claimed to be DHL which I deleted also. Wouldn't a legitimate parcel service send info in the regular email rather than in the spam folder? I kind of smell a rat here:mad:. Beware.

Thanks for any info here.

John R

Depends on how your spam filter setup is. A legitimate email from FedEx, UPS or DHL might get routed to spam. Or not. Depends on your ISP's email handling (they probably have anti-spam measures in effect) and your local mail reader's spam settings.

The best that FedEx, UPS and DHL can do is assure that the mail they send is properly signed using DKIM and that they setup appropriate SPF records. Those are methods where the sender of mail can indicate to mail handling software what computers are authorized to send mail claiming to be from them. I haven't checked mail from those companies so I don't know if they do that or not. Many companies don't and one reason is that it limits their ability to hire third parties to send out advertising on their behalf.

They are scams, this was posted up a while back on quite a few sites. If you are not expecting a package don't you think it kind of odd that you would get a e-mail about one? and how would they get your e-mail address?

They are scams, this was posted up a while back on quite a few sites. If you are not expecting a package don't you think it kind of odd that you would get a e-mail about one? and how would they get your e-mail address?

dito! i remember reading about this...one GIANT tell tell sign about this spam bot is that it will send the message to alot of people at the same time...a legit message from fed-ex or ups will only be email to you and not to thirty other people at the same time!!!! just be careful. :)

bTW I have been getting this types of messages from DHL!