White wall insert

White Spyder

With the price of wide white wall so high I was wondering if any one has tried these. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Atlas-15-Wide-PORT-A-WALL-WhiteWall-Tire-Insert-Set-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f09fcc534QQitemZ270750500148QQptZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_948

WWW for my car from Coker are $230.00 each while blackwalls can be had for $95.00. What do y'all think?

With the price of wide white wall so high I was wondering if any one has tried these. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Atlas-15-Wide-PORT-A-WALL-WhiteWall-Tire-Insert-Set-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f09fcc534QQitemZ270750500148QQptZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_948

WWW for my car from Coker are $230.00 each while blackwalls can be had for $95.00. What do y'all think?

My dad had a set on his 55 Chevy, he was not impressed. His warped and looked terrible after just a few weeks. I'm going to grind a set of WWW's on my car. You can get a set of skinny whites or OWL's for about $70 each at Walmart and grind em for $0.

I have them on my Dodge 16" tires. But if you do go this way than when your having mounted I would suggest you use the best spray glue available as they tend to squirt out when installing them rim and tires. I have had mine on for almost five years and they seem to work out but they do tend to crack . Jon

I used them on my 55 Plymouth many years ago and thought they were fine. When you install them, pop the bead out like normal. It'll push the portawall out as it pops. then deflate, use the wide tool that breaks down the tire to push it in (without breaking it down), working all around, re-inflate.

the shipping looked outrageous, though.

I bought mine at a tire shop direct for 35 dollars in LA. You could do some researching and maybe come up with that tire company. I know they deal with all kind of vintage tires but cannot remember the name of the company.

Back in the day (the 1960s), when the service station would let me do

my own tire stuff.......I would mount whitewall rings, and use a rubber

mallet to tap all around to try and get them under the rim evenly and

seated good. Might have to re-do by letting air out and going again,

but finally would get them just right. These were not the super wide

4 inchers, but maybe 2 3/4 or so....and maybe just a little heavier

material than portawalls of today. Of course, the cars used bias py

tires then....not radials.

Back in the 70s, tried putting 4 inchers on radials of a regular use

Buick Riviera.......with radials......and it would pucker them up in

places, and wanted to pull out from under the rims. Took em off.

So there are certain things that make portawalls work better, or not.

The outer edges are not glued to the tire. I talked with a distributor of Porta-Walls in California and he said they work well for a lot of tire rim combinations but not all. This means that if they work well they will press against the tire sidewall and look good. He said for example that on a 6:00 x16 or 6:50 x 16 tire they would work fine. My car has 215x75 tires with a 4.5 inch wide rims and he said I would probably not be happy because they would not fit well.