Replacing front frame?

TimStatelman

There are lots of options; you just need to decide how far you want to go. Fatman makes a replacement front frame section with a Mustang II suspension. A number of people have grafted in Dakota front frame sections. There are others, I'm sure.

Marty

If you've never done it before, I would strongly discourage you from taking on that sort of project. Salvage yards are full of clip jobs gone wrong.

A rebuilt front end, OD tranny, and disc brakes will probably be all the more you really need. Probably less expensive than a clip job, and a new engine. The money saved will probably be enough to rebuild the flathead engine.

These ain't Furds or Chubbies. MoPar front ends were very well engineered. Most of your handling concerns can probably be corrected by replacing worn parts, and realigning.

Tim, I am in the process of putting disc brakes and doing the upper shock mount relocation on my 47 D24. I also plan on adding air bags, and possibly power steering. I haven't driven my car before the conversion to be able to do a comparison to stock, but here is what I am expecting from the finished project.

1.better and more reliable braking with easier setup, part replacement, and durability

2. the shock relocation should help with ride and handling characteristics as it really sets the front suspension more like a mustang II style suspension. Adding a better sway bar up front, and adding one in the rear will be greater improvement as well.

3. if I add the bags, then i will have height control and a little coolness factor

The cost of the entire brake conversion/shockrelocation with an upgraded master cylinder and custom mounting bracket should be under $1,000 total cost.

I have a 1973 Olds Omega (Nova) clip under my P15. We narrowed it 3/4 of an inch. It drives like a dream, but the car wasn't drivable when I bought it so I can't compare.

Disc brake and rack kits were not available when my buddy and I put it together. I could not have done it by myself. Jerry had experience with the Nova clip swap on a couple 46 Fords (narrowed 1 inch) and didn't have any problems getting it under the Plymouth.

With the stuff out there today I'd probably go the upgrade route now, if I were doing it myself.

Just a lot of things can go wrong if you don't have the experience, or an experienced buddy. I understand how half done jobs end up parted out.

As a side not, Jerry is now driving a 46 Ford with a MSII front end and has said several times the Nova clip drives a lot nicer.

Edited by p15-1948

Here's some pics of a Dakota frame swap.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Rodder&Number=6221583&Searchpage=2&Main=6221583&Words=65rbdodge&topic=&Search=true#Post6221583

Not for the faint of heart and unless you've done some of this type of work before, I would advise against it. Easier to work with what you have.

I have a Nova clip under one on my P-15 projects.

Same here - 70 Nova clip on my 47 Plymouth. I bought it this way; the conversion was done around 21 years ago by an experienced rod builder in Sacramento. All of the work appears to have been extremely well done. The car drives and steers like a dream.

However, it is definitely not something I would have considered doing on my own. In fact, faced with the same situation today, I probably would have left the frame intact and concentrated on bolt-on improvements rather than radical surgery.

Just my 2 cents....;)

kbuhagiar, I am in the same boat as you. I also bought my project car from a local rodder that has been into mopars all his life, and is a welder by trade. He has built some great street rods, cars and pick-ups. He knows what he is doing, so I don't think I will have any problems. But I fell the same as you. I would rather up date the stock suspension and leave the frame alone.

My daily driver is a stock P-15, lowered, if I hit a chuck hole or a seam coming onto a bridge it will bottom out, but other then that it drives and turns with little effort for fat tires and manual steering.

Wayne