Windsor front disk brake conversion?

White Spyder

I am looking to convert my front brakes to disk on the 48 Windsor. I searched a bit but am in need of some one that has done it to a Chrysler. Specificly I would like some photos of how the calipers are mounted and what parts I would need to make the conversion. I am not looking to add a booster just improve the braking over the old drums.

TIA

Well Pats S has done the switch on a 49 Chrysler Royal.

Old Daddy makes kits for the larger Chrysler knuckles.

Contact him, He will provide a detailed parts list too, and the price is right.

Hi I have A '47' Desoto. It's almost the same car as the Chrysler. I ordered a disc brake conversion kit from Kanter. It was expensive, $750. It hasn't arrived yet but I'll let you know how it works out. I'm willing to pay for convenience.

Hi I have A '47' Desoto. It's almost the same car as the Chrysler. I ordered a disc brake conversion kit from Kanter. It was expensive, $750. It hasn't arrived yet but I'll let you know how it works out. I'm willing to pay for convenience.

Yes please keep us posted on your progress. I will be needing to order one for my 48 Desoto in the near future.

Charlies kit is a bolt on for the Chrysler/DeSoto and UNDER $300. I used the Plymouth spindles on mine, but Charlie now has a specific Chrysler/DeSoto kit (Chrysler/DeSoto are identical)

All that's needed is to thread 3 holes. Charlie will do that for you for a small charge.

Curious as to why anyone would pay $750 for a kit when a VERY good, simple, easy kit using off the shelf parts is available for less than half that...along with the best customer service that any disc brake kit maker can offer...not sure what could be more convenient.

Lots more on this forum besides me have used the RustyHope.com kit...maybe they will chime in.

You are buying from the guy who makes the kit...not a dealer who knows squat about anything if a problem crops up.

Edited by PatS....

I went with the rusty hope kit, and am very pleased with it. Fairly easy install, and good quality brackets. That being said I still ended up spending close to $550-$600 on the kit after purchasing,rotors,calipers,pads,wheel bearings,new hard lines,and hoses. I also rebuilt my master, and rear wheel cylinders. If nothing else at least I know I can stop!:D

I now have kits that will fit all Chrysler products, cars and trucks from around 1930 to 1960. I have kits that will fit the small Plymouth spindles, the larger Dodge/DeSoto/Chrysler spindles, and the very large Chrysler spindles. And I can convert all the four holes spindles on cars and trucks. Details are on my web page, www.rustyhope.com. Kits are $175 shipped to lower 48 addresses. The three original mounting holes for your backing plate are opened up about 1/16" and tapped to 5/8" fine thread. Your steering arm holes are opened up to 11/16". After that it's a bolt on project. It can be done for under $500 including the kit price, if you shop carefully.

post-84-13585361195772_thumb.jpg