lost a lug today...

mackster

i went to the tire shop to have them rotate my tires and check the air pressure. one was low. so i told them the threads were left handed on the left. the young guy told me i know that!!!! so he tried with his impact gun and sure enough...he trashed one of my lug bolts..now im only rolling with four. the shop owner told me to find out what i need and he will pay for it. but i still ended up paying for their work. im not really mad. it just happens!

Did you get the owners/managers statement in writing??? You will probably need to take the wheel and drum assembly to a machine shop and have them deal with it. at the very least, they can drill out the one striped hole and install a stud upon which you can use a lug nut, or have the whole drum done that way drill out the threads, and install 5 studs with nuts for that one assembly. You shouldn't need a new drum unless they cant get the wheel off without buggering up the deal.

Any competent machine shop should be able to blow out a stripped wheel stud. If a hydraulic press can't pop it out a torch will. They'll just cut off the head and the stem should fall out the other side. Most every bolt on my truck breaks when I try to take them out. Get them hot, smack them with a punch and a 5# hammer, retap the holes.

You want to mess with kids at the tire shop, the rear axle shafts in mine were swapped side to side. Left front, right rear are reverse thread. Right front left rear are standard thread. :D

If I keep the original brakes I'm going to have the truck converted to modern studs and lug nuts anyway.

Ahh that sucks...:(

My 68 Chrysler wagon originally had RT and LT hand threads, but when I did my disc conversion I now have RT threads on 3 corners, and only one axle still LT thread. I make sure I bring my bar and loosen the lugs myself at the tire shop...I don't trust 'em.

But the idea of getting it machined and a new stud pressed in is a good solution to your problem. As long as you don't mind having four LT thread bolts and one RT thread stud and nut.:D