Progress downUnder

I can only suggest that you go gently Jason. I'm sure that most of us added a few scratches to new paint when installing the 'dog box'. I installed the 'dog box' (nosecone and guards) already assembled with the assistance of 2 family members. It's best to have a couple of friends or relatives present for the complete bonnet installation as well. Use plenty of rags or cloths placed at strategic locations (as Mark did).

Desotodav

This is one of those famous jobs where taking as long as you can to do it will give you the best results. On this type of job, if after the end of the day, I tell myself: "If this were my fist day on the job, I would have been fired" then I know I did the job well.

I think It took me 3 days to complete what would seem to be 4 hours of work. Some of this was a result of lack of documentation at the dissassembly phase (not marking positions when I could have). If you are using new cab mount rubber as I did, all bets are off as to how many cab mount shim washers you'll need.

Although you can see I assembled the front clip in it's entirety, you can also opt to mount the front grill and then hang each fender independently (especially if you will be doing this job solo) with no problem.

The last picture tells it all. Look at the uneven taper where the fender meets the door. It is not possible to align the front clip without the door mounted on the cab. The cab and front clip must move as a unit on the frame together. You can see that I either need to add more cab mount washers on the front cab mounts, or remove a washer or so on the rear cab mounts, or remove a washer from under the radiator support bracket to get the seam between the door and the fender parallel.

A good "Starting Point Target" is to make sure the foot starter meets the arm of the starter properly, centered left and right and not too high not too low. (You'll see what I mean)

Be real careful not to scratch any thing. Constantly remind yourself "It's about the paint" and you'll be o.k.

Good Luck,

Hank :)

post-2934-13585369046316_thumb.jpg

post-2934-135853690466_thumb.jpg

post-2934-13585369046862_thumb.jpg

post-2934-13585369047137_thumb.jpg

post-2934-13585369047391_thumb.jpg

Edited by HanksB3B

• 6 years later...

Hi All. The truck lives on! After a long hiatus from moving further south in Queensland, to sitting in a mates shed for two years (being started every few months) to it's current location - I am finally back to working on her. Not much has been done except for a bit of woodwork on the tray. After removing 175 kgs of steel plate and sanding the old flooring - it's starting to take shape again.

Coated.jpg

Coated1.jpg

Coated2.jpg

New Home side on.JPG

New Home.jpg

Edited by Jason Hyde
Smaller Pics
  • Like 5

Love the wood. That is the look I want to achieve on my 47 - I am a long way from that point. It is good to see that you are still making progress. Before you know it you will be cruising down the road...