2011 Newton Downtown Car Show

Al B. Bach

This weeks car show was the 7th Annual Newton Downtown Car Show. It was a perfect day so the turn-out was pretty good. Saw several good looking Mopars including a really nice little 34 street rod with a flat 6. I also met a guy with a 51 Lincoln Cosmopolitan that had recognizable pinstriping. Turns out it was done by the same guy that did mine. I did a little searching and found his website. Nice surprise is that my car is on his website!

http://hardlinegrafix.com/aboutus.html scroll down to the bottom and you'll see the front of the Old Girl.

I'm hitting car shows almost every weekend. Does anybody care to see the photos I take at them? If so then I'll continue to post them to photobucket and give weekly updates.

I am also working on creating a blog for the Old Girl and I'll post photos there when it's done. I'm not real good at web sites though so I am having my brother work on it.

IMG_2898.jpg

IMG_2742.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg

Always good to see what folks are doing in other parts of the world... post away specially them mopars or mopar powered rides.

Now that your are driving your car o a regular basis, how do you feel about the way it rides, and drives???

Edited by greg g

Always good to see what folks are doing in other parts of the world... post away specially them mopars or mopar powered rides.

Now that your are driving your car o a regular basis, how do you feel about the way it rides, and drives???

I'm loving it! More comfortable than any car I have ever owned.

We are still having a problem with the engine in that you have to let it set for 30 to 45 minutes before you can restart it. I rebuilt the carb and it's worse now than it was before. It runs great once it starts but it is very hard to start when it's warm. I talked to a mechanic today and he felt that since I have rebuilt the carb and it runs good then I probably shouldn't mess with the carb anymore. He thinks it may be the coil getting heat saturated. That makes a bit of sense because my motorhome has the same problem. With it I can switch to the house battery and send 24 volts to the starter which will overcome it but I can't do that with the car. He thought a new coil may fix it or else getting the temps down. I ordered a bunch of new parts today for it: new coil, points, condenser, cap and rotor. If that doesn't fix it then the next step will be to have the radiator rebuilt.

If all else fails then it will just have to do as is until this winter when I plan on taking the engine apart to put in new gaskets and fix the either sticky or burnt valves. It runs good, you just have to be ready to set for a while before going again.

Later,

Carl

Carl in the name of troubleshooting try this. Before you swap that coil get the engine nice and hot. Probably best to end the trip back at home. Try to restart and if it fails ice the coil and try again. That way you'll know for sure if it was the coil.

Thanks for the pictures......keep em coming.

When some fellow from the HAMB attends a car show and sends pictures,

they are mainly Fords and Chevys.....hardly any old Mopars, even if there

were some there.

Forum members here will usually find the old Mopars in the crowd instead.

I don't mind the other brands as there are some nice ones out there....

but like to see what Chrysler products turned out too.

How do I ice the coil? I suppose I could try just water from the hose to cool it off and test it but I don't know if the water would cause other problems.

Take a small bag of frozen peas and kind of wrap it around the coil. You can still eat the peas after so a win-win solution.