6 volt to 12 volt

azmichael1

Use a single wire 40 - 60 amp alternator....fab a bracket to mount it.Change all the bulbs to 12 volt. If you have electric wipers upgrade to 12 volt.

I changed my P12 over to 12 volt last year. I did not change the heater motor, just run it on low and medium speed. Overdrive sol is still 6 volt. The gas gauge has a light bulb in the BAT side of the gauge. this slows down the reaction of the gauge. You can get devices to drop the voltage, but this was a simple cheap way.

Remove the regulator from the generator circuit and run the BAT wire to the alternator.

Have you switched polarity yet? If not reverse the wires on the AMP meter.

• 5 months later...

1950 dodgestreight six gen swap to a 1995 dodge dakota alternator ?

can it be done and how do you wire it up using the old wire harness?

I know it internally regulated so i don't have to use the voltage regulator but can find anybody who knows how to wire it up already changed to twelve volt but still wire the same as 6 volt if that helpes

Heres the wiring diagrame that I used to rewire it just need to add in the altornator

post-6641-13585364397336_thumb.jpg

Edited by slogger147

• 5 weeks later...

Here's some stuff I've collected over the years that might be of help to you.

Wait! I have a positive-ground GMC, what do I do?

This so easy, you'll kick yourself for not having figured it out on your own. All you have to do to convert that Jimmy to negative ground is:

1. Disconnect the battery (VERY important first step)

2. Reverse the wires on the coil

3. Reverse the wires on the ammeter

4. Reverse the battery cables. While you're at it, why not switch the ground cable from going to the frame to a starter mounting bolt or the transmission? It's better than the frame.

5. Put all your tools away and sweep the garage floor, because you are DONE. Oh, yeah. Power up the system to see if you did it right.

Easy job. By the way, this method works for Fords, too (should you have one laying around).

12 volts, but looks all original

Okay, this one is a little harder, but still pretty easy. Even a Marine can do it. This method assumes you have either the original wiring harness, or you have replaced the original harness with a new 6-volt harness. Is your 6-volt harness adequate to convert to 12 volts? Yes, because the 6-volt system produces twice the amperage of the 12-volt system. So, the 6-volt harness is actually heavier than needed for the 12-volt conversion. With that out of the way:

• Disconnect and remove the 6-volt battery. If you discard it, make sure you do so properly. Used Lead acid batteries are hazardous waste, so please dispose of them properly -- it's the law.

• Remove your 6-volt generator.

• Replace with a 12-volt generator. I got mine from a guy hotrodding a '57. It fit perfectly and looks almost identical to the original 6-volt unit.

• Remove the 6-volt voltage regulator and replace it with a 12-volt one. Again, you can probably use the one that came with the 12-volt generator you found.

• OR, if you want to be anal and maintain strict originality, you can use your 6-volt generator -- just take it to a good electrical shop and have them replace the 6-volt field coils with 12-volt ones. Just don't forget to replace your voltage regulator...

• Replace your 6-volt bulbs (headlights, taillights, parking lights, dash lights, dome lights, etc) with 12-volt bulbs.

• Put a ballast resistor* in the line between the ignition switch and the coil

• Put a voltage reducer* in the power line to each 6-volt accessory switch (radio, heater, etc)

• Put a Standard Ignition* in the line to the gas gauge.

• Install a 12-volt coil

• Install a 12-volt battery that fits your battery tray (duh).

• Power up the system and check it out.

12 volts, but with an alternator

This one isn't quite so easy. I tried this the first time around and it took a few tries to get it right. At any rate, this approach is pretty widely used and has a lot of advantages, but you lose originality -- you have a big, ugly alternator sticking out like a sore thumb. Yuck. If you can live with that, here's what you do:

• Disconnect and remove the 6-volt battery. If you discard it, make sure you do so properly. Used Lead acid batteries are hazardous waste, so please dispose of them properly -- it's the law.

• Remove your 6-volt generator, coil and voltage regulator.

• Install the alternator. You'll probably have to do some bracket modifications.

• Use a DA plug on your alternator (because most modern alternators have built in regulators, this eliminates the voltage regulator on the firewall)

• Take the "Batt" wire that used to go to the regulator and connect it to the red wire of the DA plug.

• Connect the white wire from the DA plug and connect it to an "ignition" spot, either the ignition switch or the coil wire.

• Wrap up the "field" and "arm" wires that used to connect to the regulator because you don't need them anymore.

• Replace your 6-volt bulbs (headlights, taillights, parking lights, dash lights, dome lights, etc) with 12-volt bulbs.

• Put a ballast resistor* in the line between the ignition switch and the coil

• Put a voltage reducer* in the power line to each 6-volt accessory switch (radio, heater, etc)

:eek::D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Im doing this conversion now. I did a motor swap and now need to run an electric fuel pump, So I'll be wanting fuse block (radio will be coming shortly)

My question is, since i want the fuse block only to have power when key in on, can I get away with running a 10ga. wire from the + side of my fuel gauge to the + post on the fuse block? On my '53 Desoto the radio and heater fan both are powered through the + post on the fuel gauge. (I will be disconnecting both the radio and blower fan)

Edit: I am installing a "runtz" on my fuel gauge, so technically I would be installing the 10ga. wire on the 12v side of the "runtz"

Power the add on fuse box from the Acc terminal then it will be hot with engine on or when key is in acc position. The acc position will let you run the items powered through the box without the ign being on so you don't toast your points.

You can feed it from the ign side of the coil or fuel gauge, but you are powering those with a 14 or 16 gauge wire, so pulling a feed through a 10 gauge wire off a 14 guage feed is kind of electrically backward. Run your 10 gauge from the acc terminal directly and with a short as possible run to the add on box, then you can run 10 gauge and down wire to the loads according to their draw and through an appropriate fuse.

but if you are converting to 12V your resistance goes down, so you probably don't need 10 gor anything but the heater fan. most 12v stuff runs off 14 or 16 gauge.

The fuel guages on my 1946-8 Chryslers feed 6V from the fuel guage to feed the wiper "BAT" terminal and the starter crank push button circuits.

Bob