Picture request please

greg g

Can anyone please post a picture of a Dodge Desoto or Chrysler with an M6 semi auto trans that shows if there is a dashpot on the carb for mantaining or controlling the idle linkage. I know most of there carbs had solex carbs but were any equiped from the factory with a Carter?

Is this the correct carb for a 51/2 Desoto???

picture.php?albumid=20608&pictureid=289075

Edited by greg g

I got a 53 desoto with the M6 but it has been modify alot. i will take a picture of the carb tomorrow. but it doesnt hVE THOSE CONNECTIONS. IT SEEMED THE CONTACT is mechanical. no wires going thru it.

As far as I know- all the USA Chrysler and DeSoto cars-- 1949-53 six/eight cylinder W/ the M-6 used a carter 1bbl with a 2 wire electrically controlled anti-stall dash pot to prevent sudden back to idle stalling and a built in KD switch. 1946-8 M-5's used a single wire electric dash pot- same style carb. Dodge cars used the Stromberg carbs with the 2 wire solenoid mounted on the carb top, KD on side.

Bob

That carb looks like the right one for a 53. The interegal choke is the telltale. The dashpot is electric, a small internal electro magnet that keeps the throttle from closing too fast. That piece on top of the float bowl with the wires hooked to it is the dash pot.

If that's Joe's car, it's a 53 Desoto.

The pics of the 2 Carter carbs I posted are correct for both the 1946-8 M-5 single wire electric dash pot carbs and the 1949-52 M-6 2 wire electric dash pot is shown in my 1950 Chrysler Town and Country 8 with the M-6.

Carbs with the adjustable screw on the air horn are for just 3 speed Fluid Drive cars and trucks W/O the M-6 tranmissions, but W/ FD couplings only.

Bob

The pics of the 2 Carter carbs I posted are correct for both the 1946-8 M-5 single wire electric dash pot carbs and the 1949-52 M-6 2 wire electric dash pot is shown in my 1950 Chrysler Town and Country 8 with the M-6.

Carbs with the adjustable screw on the air horn are for just 3 speed Fluid Drive cars and trucks W/O the M-6 tranmissions, but W/ FD couplings only.

Bob

Bob, I got one of those and use it with my 3-speed/FD set-up. I see no reason why you could not use it on an M5/M6, although I would have to stare at the wiring diagram to be sure...

I would like to find a spare....if anyone has a bad carb that has the air horn that uses the screw type dash pot....let me know as I would like to buy it from you.

Thanks, James