found a couple of treasures...

So with the help of Mom, Dad & my 9 month old son, we hauled the truck to my house today & this evening I went through the rotted out glove box & found these treasures. The tune up parts I'm hoping I can use, but I'm not sure they're still good. The owner's manuals I'll have to be very careful with as they are in quite a fragile state from sitting in the cab for so many years. Just the same though, I'm excited as hell to have them!

post-7616-13585360954146_thumb.jpg

post-7616-13585360954447_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

So with the help of Mom, Dad & my 9 month old son, we hauled the truck to my house today & this evening I went through the rotted out glove box & found these treasures. The tune up parts I'm hoping I can use, but I'm not sure they're still good. The owner's manuals I'll have to be very careful with as they are in quite a fragile state from sitting in the cab for so many years. Just the same though, I'm excited as hell to have them!

Well,

The beer sure looks good.. oh and the other goodies too!

Awesome,

about a week ago I was vacuming my '50 Plymouth and lifted the back seat, a crumpled piece of paper felll out, almost got sucked up by the shop vac..:eek:..I turned off the vac, un crumpled the paper and lo & behold it is the original build sheet from the factory, with color options, destination dealer etc...pretty cool to find old stuff in the rides!:cool:

Well,

The beer sure looks good.. oh and the other goodies too!

If it came out of the glove box with the other goodies, I'd bet it isn't.

Nice finds. When I cleaned out mine I found part of the original driver's manual, a couple small cologne bottles, a pair of penny loafers, a copper tubing and antler bowled bong and about 15 pounds of hazelnut shells. Squirrels had lived in it for 20 years while it was in my grandparents' barn in Puyallup Washington. Oh, I also found a Playboy party joke book from 1968 under the seat.

Edited by Scruffy49

I found acorns and hickory nuts in mine. Tha Mach 1 had pecans in it. Car came out of N Carolina complete with dual whip antenna bases and a rebel flag in the rear window. Guess it dpends on where you're at as to what you'll find.

the best treasure I found besides the 1968 Minnesota map was a copy of the ignition key on a key chain with my mom's maiden name on it and the 4 digit phone numebr.

• Like 1

Mark Dad and I bought a 45 dodge parts truck in WI and in the glovebox is an ancient handwritten receipt from Siwek(I think) lumber. Its one of the ones still around anyway.

Those Champion J-11 plugs are probably still good; clean'm, gap'm & install'm.

The PO of the '49 couldn't find the original ignition key, but while inspecting that truck, I flipped up the mat to take a look at the floor and VOILA there was a filthy Dodge key...

• Like 1

Those Champion J-11 plugs are probably still good; clean'm, gap'm & install'm.

The PO of the '49 couldn't find the original ignition key, but while inspecting that truck, I flipped up the mat to take a look at the floor and VOILA there was a filthy Dodge key...

now go have about 5 copies made. Findin gblanks is getting harder and harder (at least in MN).

Nice finds. When I cleaned out mine I found part of the original driver's manual, a couple small cologne bottles, a pair of penny loafers, a copper tubing and antler bowled bong and about 15 pounds of hazelnut shells. Squirrels had lived in it for 20 years while it was in my grandparents' barn in Puyallup Washington. Oh, I also found a Playboy party joke book from 1968 under the seat.

the bong was in your grandparents car????? who knew....

Well, not as exciting as some of your finds :D but today after work I lifted the seat & found the original tools I think. Nothing spectacular, but it made me feel like I had opened a tomb. I know that seat hadn't been lifted in 40-50 years. Pretty cool.

Just out of curiosity I also checked the oil & the oil in the air cleaner expecting them to both be dried tar. Amazingly, they were both clean enough to run. Not that I would, but that gives me hope that it will run without much work. Keeping my fingers crossed.

post-7616-1358536096698_thumb.jpg

Edited by 50farmtruck

Mine fired on oil from 1974... Battery from late 1960s... Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders, fresh gas from a one gallon can strapped on the hood center... dropped it in 3rd at 35 mph behind an old Ford. First time she'd started in over 20 years. Ran like crap. Flames pouring out from under the cab (completely rotten stock headpipe and muffler shell), no brakes (at all), dry rotted tires from the 60s, grease from who knows when...

Funny thing is, I still have those tires, on the stock wheels, sitting in the cab right now. And the things still hold air...

Well, not as exciting as some of your finds :D but today after work I lifted the seat & found the original tools I think. Nothing spectacular, but it made me feel like I had opened a tomb. I know that seat hadn't been lifted in 40-50 years. Pretty cool.

Just out of curiosity I also checked the oil & the oil in the air cleaner expecting them to both be dried tar. Amazingly, they were both clean enough to run. Not that I would, but that gives me hope that it will run without much work. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Those tools are an awesome find!

Good luck with the project, I hope you can get it running!

When I got my 51 parts truck home I cleaned it out and found a lot of the same things, old Champion spark plug boxes, but older then I had ever seen before, some new points/cond, and a few other odds and ends, and then when I got to under the seat some of the jack parts and an original brouchure...but it had gotten wet so many times it was all stuck together and ruined...funny what seems to last in some of these old girls...especially the mice nests :eek:

• 7 years later...
On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2011 at 12:14 AM, 50farmtruck said:

post-7616-13585360954146_thumb.jpg

post-7616-13585360954447_thumb.jpg

I love finding treasures in old cars and trucks.  I like what you've found, I like the Enfield coozie  too (coors ain't for me tho).  A few things I have found in my  46 Plymouth and parts cars. Found a neat barlow pocket knife made by Imperial  down in the fender. Some neat plastic toys, motorcycles, army men, mercury dime, wheat back pennies.  The 5 man coupe parts car I bought from a local junkyard that was crushing out  had an old gasoline powered washing machine engine and a nice model A dash in the trunk. 

• Like 1